Time To Ban xmas trees.

What with all this controversy about climate change, I would like to ask this question.

Why do we allow the callous and mindless slaughter of millions of Xmas trees every year?

Millions of trees , feeding the planet with oxygen and removing carbon dioxide from the air, the world is up in arms about the deforestation of the Amazon rain forests in Brazil, yet we get our chainsaws out and massacre millions, and what for, to hang a few fairy lights on, how sweet.

Is this the way to celebrate Xmas, another nail in the planets coffin, I say ban the sale of Xmas trees, and set an example to the rest of the world.

3 minutes ago, Padders said:

What with all this controversy about climate change, I would like to ask this question.

Why do we allow the callous and mindless slaughter of millions of Xmas trees every year?

Millions of trees , feeding the planet with oxygen and removing carbon dioxide from the air, the world is up in arms about the deforestation of the Amazon rain forests in Brazil, yet we get our chainsaws out and massacre millions, and what for, to hang a few fairy lights on, how sweet.

Is this the way to celebrate Xmas, another nail in the planets coffin, I say ban the sale of Xmas trees, and set an example to the rest of the world.

Is this a joke? 

Abolishing the commercial growing of Christmas trees would result in fewer tree. How exactly would that help? 

3/10

Good topic, going after Christmas trees, but you over-egged it with the deforestation angle.

I think you'd have been more convincing by highlighting the fly-tipping, or fire risk, or plastic waste.

Extra bonus points are available on the subject of Christmas trees, if you remind us that they're specifically forbidden in the Bible.

1 minute ago, ads36 said:

3/10

Good topic, going after Christmas trees, but you over-egged it with the deforestation angle.

I think you'd have been more convincing by highlighting the fly-tipping, or fire risk, or plastic waste.

Extra bonus points are available on the subject of Christmas trees, if you remind us that they're specifically forbidden in the Bible.

That was before climate change became an issue.

1 minute ago, Robin-H said:

So banning people from selling Christmas Trees is going to result in more trees being planted? I fail to see the logic in that at all! 

Probably not, but it would at least preserve the trees that are currently growing.

7 minutes ago, Padders said:

Probably not, but it would at least preserve the trees that are currently growing.

No it wouldn't! 

People growing Christmas Trees do it commercially. They own or lease the land on which the trees grow. If the government suddenly said it was against the law to buy Christmas Trees all those Christmas Tree growers would use the land for something else, they certainly wouldn't just say 'oh well, I'll just let these trees continue to grow on this useful and potentially money generating land even though I will gain absolutely nothing from it and won't be able to make any money to live, but hey ho!' 

12 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

No it wouldn't! 

People growing Christmas Trees do it commercially. They own or lease the land on which the trees grow. If the government suddenly said it was against the law to buy Christmas Trees all those Christmas Tree growers would use the land for something else, they certainly wouldn't just say 'oh well, I'll just let these trees continue to grow on this useful and potentially money generating land even though I will gain absolutely nothing from it and won't be able to make any money to live, but hey ho!' 

Can't argue with that Robin.   but the government could compensate the growers, and keep the land for trees.

Did'nt a similar thing happen with our National parks. mass trespassing and stuff.