The Standard Of Driving Has Become Woeful.

On 26/06/2022 at 22:44, echo beach said:

I've been driving 60 years and in that time standards on the roads have worsened.

Cars nowadays are much faster than they were as is the pace of life. Most folks seem to be rushing to get somewhere.

I often travel on the motorways, M62 and A1 mainly and the reckless driving I witness sometimes beggars belief.

Changing lanes without indicating or putting an indicator on as though then it's OK to change lanes without even checking whether it's safe to do so. Undertaking  and weaving between traffic and tailgating. 

Last year travelling  East at 70 mph on the M62 near the Saddleworth junction I was overtaken by 2 sports cars racing each other followed immediately by another one which undertook me on the hard shoulder before returning to the carriageway.

That's an example of the sorts of idiots who are currently on our roads.

I've always advocated regular 5 year driver  re-testing for everyone. Expensive but in the end, lifesaving. Failures would have to a green P stuck on their vehicle until they passed. Then we could identify the sub standard drivers at a distance just as we can with learners.

echo. 

Out on cycle yesterday plenty of f nuters  about . In little Brum brums 

37 minutes ago, Resident said:

Out on a drive yesterday, plenty of nutters about, on little push-irons. 

Had one of the crackpots go through a red on savile street the other day. It's a good job my brakes work otherwise there's a good chance he would be dead now.

12 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Had one of the crackpots go through a red on savile street the other day. It's a good job my brakes work otherwise there's a good chance he would be dead now.

Hmmm... :huh:

I thought some of you might like to watch this... :hihi:

On 25/06/2022 at 23:35, Slinny said:

A bully then is that more like it 

No just kids from Council estates showing off on street corners just like we did back in the fifty's and sixty's.

13 hours ago, Resident said:

Out on a drive yesterday, plenty of nutters about, on little push-irons. 

Plenty on here 

5 hours ago, Leo Tomlinson said:

No just kids from Council estates showing off on street corners just like we did back in the fifty's and sixty's.

Kids have more money these days, so more cars being driven badly.

Is this problem being made worse because of "pool cars"? Compulsory tax or SORN, doesn't seem to be working.

You can have a car parked up with no MOT and the police will do nothing!

Let's not turn this into a young vs old debate. Bad drivers are bad drivers and they come from a wide range of of shapes, sizes, age groups and backgrounds.

For every young reckless teenager tearing around the housing estates in their second-hand Corsa, there is equally going to be a Deirdre or Brian pootling along in their new automatic Peugeot, getting in the way, making sudden stops, failing to maintain progression, unable to properly read road signs, mistakenly going down the wrong way on motorways, or blindly following the sat nav into a ditch etc....

I am not wholly convinced there is simply "more" bad drivers these days than there would have been back in the day , certainly when thinking in   ratio figures. The big difference now is obviously lots more vehicles on the road. There is also much more awareness of bad driving thanks to the massive increase in dash cams, CCTV, hyped up televised programmes....

I'm sure there was plenty of speeding, near misses, horn blowing and finger gesturing 50 years ago, but it wouldn't have been seen, caught or broadcast anywhere near to the same extent.  If anything, given the widespread implementation of average speed cameras, CCTV, dash cams and now increasing automated safety systems in cars including radar emergency breaking, lane departure awareness, self parking etc I would like to think that one will be a lot better off in an accident in 2022 than would have been in 1972.  

I don't want to go back to the days of Uncle Bob trying to mend his own car because he read a book on it once or piling  8 kids in the back seat with no seat belts. 

Edited by ECCOnoob

5 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Let's not turn this into a young vs old debate. Bad drivers are bad drivers and they come from a wide range of of shapes, sizes, age groups and backgrounds.

For every young reckless teenager tearing around the housing estates in their second-hand Corsa, there is equally going to be a Deirdre or Brian pootling along in their new automatic Peugeot.

There is bad driving because of inexperience and there is wilful bad driving