The Standard Of Driving Has Become Woeful.

The number of drivers, who have forgotten the purpose of the yellow hatched boxes at junctions & bus drivers are also guilty of occupying them when their road ahead isn't clear. 

To many drivers seem to be afraid of sitting & waiting until their road ahead is clear for fear of someone behind them pipping their horn. 

The lack of indication is amazing.  From Sainsburys to Wadsley Lane I'm usually the only one signalling, or signalling before changing lanes. I also think the speed of some drivers on heavily parked roads is dangerous. What ever happened to 'drive to the conditions not the speed limit'.

On 14/11/2019 at 22:34, simonj said:

And the ones who indicate as they start the turn, or after, or not at all.

Yes yes, these people. The people who rush up to a roundabout with no indicator forcing you to stop - they're going straight on aren't they. No, they're turning left.

Yes, these people. When I'm king, I will have these people executed on live TV.

On 15/11/2019 at 16:03, DavidFrance said:

I drive a Toyota hybrid.   (and thus an automatic box). The handbook says you should not move it into neutral whilst waiting at traffic lights etc but hold it on the footbrake.  That's why an increasing number of cars are seen with brake lights on whilst standing.  Annoying but just look elsewhere.   And as for "fog" rear lights in heavy rain. Agreed they are not necessary on some road surfaces but where there is heavy spray these high intensity rear lamps could save lives. And they help stop people tailgating at a time when they should be leaving even greater space . 

So apply the handbrake and take your foot on the pedal. 

I drive auto for work and each manufacturer (and driver training) says to do this. 

Drivers who insist on driving down the middle of the road straddling the white line not knowing the width of their car away from parked cars in some cases it cannot be helped but there are those who think it’s the normal thing to do even on open roads, on my driving test you were taught to give way to traffic traveling uphill towards you where there are parked cars these day’s they just look at you like startled rabbits or the ones who don’t know what indicators are for and think you’re a mind reader, the standard of courteous driving has certainly dropped.

37 minutes ago, MEC176 said:

Drivers who insist on driving down the middle of the road straddling the white line not knowing the width of their car away from parked cars in some cases it cannot be helped but there are those who think it’s the normal thing to do even on open roads, on my driving test you were taught to give way to traffic traveling uphill towards you where there are parked cars these day’s they just look at you like startled rabbits or the ones who don’t know what indicators are for and think you’re a mind reader, the standard of courteous driving has certainly dropped.

The old “give way because you’re going up hill” one. I was not taught this at all. 

I first read it in the highway code booklet during the 1970s. I cannot say how long this had been part of the HW code.

I believe the origin of the "rule" was due to it being more difficult for an HGV to set off again up the hill, than it was for the vehicle coming down the hill.