The Standard Of Driving Has Become Woeful.

10 minutes ago, max said:

Just spotted this, there's some good clips there but I must point out something about your last clip. You state, nothing to see here, but the clip starts with the car sat in the Advanced Stop Lines which can incur 3 penalty points and £100 fine so right from the off there's something wrong with the driver's road use.

Cyclists least worry with this driver! Have you see the other 3. Links in the quote at top of last  page.

Edited by *_ash_*

4 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Something I've noticed more is that people who driver "crossover" type cars struggle to keep it on their side of the road, especially on bends.

High centre of gravity + cheap (possibly part-worn) tyres + plus belief that high seat position equates to safety = Modern crossover/SUV driver

11 hours ago, max said:

Just spotted this, there's some good clips there but I must point out something about your last clip. You state, nothing to see here, but the clip starts with the car sat in the Advanced Stop Lines which can incur 3 penalty points and £100 fine so right from the off there's something wrong with the driver's road use.

Sitting beyond the first stop line and short of the second stop line in these forward holding areas (for cyclists) is not in itself an offence. 
The offence involves not stopping at either of the lines when the lights demand it.  You MUST stop at the first unless ... unless ... at the amber but if you can’t stop at the first, the second stop line is another must stop unless ... unless ...  

The size, weight, speed of your vehicle and the road surface, what’s behind you may make stopping impracticable (but the PC will take a view).

The law therefore allows you to sit in this forward holding area on occasions. 
And this is what is enforced across the country except for some London boroughs where, somewhat unjustly, you will get a ticket for being there. 

13 hours ago, DT Ralge said:

Sitting beyond the first stop line and short of the second stop line in these forward holding areas (for cyclists) is not in itself an offence. 
The offence involves not stopping at either of the lines when the lights demand it.  You MUST stop at the first unless ... unless ... at the amber but if you can’t stop at the first, the second stop line is another must stop unless ... unless ...  

The size, weight, speed of your vehicle and the road surface, what’s behind you may make stopping impracticable (but the PC will take a view).

The law therefore allows you to sit in this forward holding area on occasions. 
And this is what is enforced across the country except for some London boroughs where, somewhat unjustly, you will get a ticket for being there. 

You're giving people much benefit of the doubt here.  I've watched people drive into the advanced stop box when the lights are well on red and they've had plenty of time to stop.  I don't think people know what the law is any more.

It's like double white lines in the middle of the road, they often get ignored...

23 minutes ago, Becky B said:

You're giving people much benefit of the doubt here.  I've watched people drive into the advanced stop box when the lights are well on red and they've had plenty of time to stop.  I don't think people know what the law is any more.

It's like double white lines in the middle of the road, they often get ignored...

Yes, that may be the case - but there was never an age when all drivers knew or abided by the law. 
Still, that keeps me in work!

• 2 years later...
On 14/12/2019 at 12:26, DT Ralge said:

Yes, that may be the case - but there was never an age when all drivers knew or abided by the law. 
Still, that keeps me in work!

When I learned to drive they taught me to signal well before you got to turn now they signal about two ft before they get their .  When lights turn to green drivers wait about 10secs before they set off . And when they have managed to set of it takes them at least 1min to reach 20miles per hour. And lots of little old black cars racing about in 30mile limit . I am not a perfect driver by a old way , but try my best .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slinny said:

When I learned to drive they taught me to signal well before you got to turn now they signal about two ft before they get their .  When lights turn to green drivers wait about 10secs before they set off . And when they have managed to set of it takes them at least 1min to reach 20miles per hour. And lots of little old black cars racing about in 30mile limit . I am not a perfect driver by a old way , but try my best .

I know what you mean about the little black hatchbacks (usually old VW Golf) with smoked glass and the driver in the prone position, clouds of vape or cannabis fumes coming out of it! 🙄😵💫

2 hours ago, Slinny said:

That's if they signal at all.

9 hours ago, Tipstaff said:

I know what you mean about the little black hatchbacks (usually old VW Golf) with smoked glass and the driver in the prone position, clouds of vape or cannabis fumes coming out of it! 🙄😵💫

Don't forget the popping exhaust. 

No Chav Wagon is complete these days without a popping exhaust.