Flooding

1 hour ago, dutch said:

This flooding has more to do with climate change and the polluters are not god, would call it an act by the devil myself.

what a load of rubbish climate change my a...s   

more like to do with drains are blocked as per normal...

From what I've seen on tv over the past few days, most of the homes that are flooded appear to be of the modern variety, say built within the last 25 years, by the look of them & clearly on flood plains.  It's also notable that many lack front gardens, instead have hard standings to the front of properties that hold water. 

Local authorities have to get a grip on allowing developers to build properties on such land unless they can guarantee that the design of the properties will withstand, let's say, floodwaters of at least a metre. 

I'm surprised that people can actually get mortgages for such properties. 

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

From what I've seen on tv over the past few days, most of the homes that are flooded appear to be of the modern variety, say built within the last 25 years, by the look of them & clearly on flood plains.  It's also notable that many lack front gardens, instead have hard standings to the front of properties that hold water. 

Local authorities have to get a grip on allowing developers to build properties on such land unless they can guarantee that the design of the properties will withstand, let's say, floodwaters of at least a metre. 

I'm surprised that people can actually get mortgages for such properties. 

I don't think you've been to Bentley then - like most former mining villages round Doncaster most houses are ex council / coal board dating back to the 30's.

Edited by Longcol

1 minute ago, gaz 786 said:

What would have happened if the floods that devastated South Yorkshire happened in a stockbroker belt down south? Would the government have been as slow to help out I think not 😡

Troops. Cobra. The lot.

A £1m house in Henley is more important than a £100k house in Bentley.

Even the thickest of the thick can’t deny that now.

9 minutes ago, gaz 786 said:

What would have happened if the floods that devastated South Yorkshire happened in a stockbroker belt down south? Would the government have been as slow to help out I think not 😡

We know exactly what would have happened because it did happen. 

Does no one remember the massive flooding down in Surrey a few years ago? 

It was Jeremy Corbyn who visited South Yorkshire first, and then personally insisted that Boris Johnson call it a National Emergency so a Cobra meeting could be called, and help granted (like the Army being drafted in.)

He wrote; 'If this had happened in Surrey it would have been declared a National emergency.'  

The letter can be seen online

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/politics/jeremy-corbyn-urges-boris-johnson-to-call-cobra-meeting-over-northern-floods-1-10098435

Edited by Anna B