Flooding

I had  a bit of curiosity regarding distance above sea level of various locations in the local area.

Logically thinking, the greater the distance a river is from the sea, the higher the ground-to a point. So just thinking of the Don going out towards Doncaster/Fishlake!  and it's path to the Humber and so on.

On the website , I'm using post codes. GPS is said to be not so accurate?

My home location results 80m above. Living part way up a hill I checked the sea level of post codes that run parallel at the top & bottom of my road and 80 seems about right.

S9  1EP   which I have used as the guide for where Meadowhall is, displays 30m above and is of course close to the Don. Not sure what you guys think about the figure for that area.

Edited by Janus
Typo

Reading today about a report from Unearthed, the investigative arm of Greenpeace.  They have found that thousands of homes are set to be built across England in high-risk flood zones, including 3,000 in an at risk area near Fishlake.   Additionally, they have also foumd 5,123 homes are planned for medium risk areas, including a 'new town', just over a mile from Fishlake. 

1 minute ago, Baron99 said:

Reading today about a report from Unearthed, the investigative arm of Greenpeace.  They have found that thousands of homes are set to be built across England in high-risk flood zones, including 3,000 in an at risk area near Fishlake.   Additionally, they have also foumd 5,123 homes are planned for medium risk areas, including a 'new town', just over a mile from Fishlake. 

And Environment Agency Staff have been cut by 20% in the last ten years. Just saying. 

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

thousands of homes are set to be built across England in high-risk flood zones, 

It is so  wrong what the developers are trying to do. 

There is clearly no concern for the predicament that the potential home owners are going to find themselves in.  

@Baron99

It is a good thing that you have posted this. I really do hope that all the  potential buyers become aware of the issue, assuming the houses are built. 

16 hours ago, Janus said:

It is so  wrong what the developers are trying to do. 

There is clearly no concern for the predicament that the potential home owners are going to find themselves in.  

@Baron99

It is a good thing that you have posted this. I really do hope that all the  potential buyers become aware of the issue, assuming the houses are built. 

As I said in an earlier post, I'm surprised that you could get mortgage on properties in high risk flood areas after the banks & building societies have carried out their conveyancing checks. 

as ever, this has all been more or less solved by our more civilised neighbours over the north sea.

google : dutch floating houses.

basically, houses that can float. except often they don't, just when needed.

instead of spending ever-more money pushing flood water ever-further down-river, to new and exciting places where it's never been a problem before. Just allow some areas to flood, sometimes for months at a time. *AND* use these very same areas for truly affordable housing. 

(obviously, doing your shopping run in a canoe won't be to everyone's taste, but to others, it's the very essence of a good time) 

hmm, let me see. will we go for the cheap option that works? or carry on spending billions on concrete walls that don't really solve the problem?

we're British, so that clearly means option B : the eye-wateringly expensive one that doesn't work. 

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through!"

I'm sure I've seen some new build houses that seemed to be designed with flooding in mind...basically the ground floor was the car garage and then the house itself was above this.

I think the basic idea was thatif it flooded then only the garage would flood, not the actual house proper.

13 hours ago, Pyrotequila said:

I'm sure I've seen some new build houses that seemed to be designed with flooding in mind...basically the ground floor was the car garage and then the house itself was above this.

I think the basic idea was thatif it flooded then only the garage would flood, not the actual house proper.

It should be made compulsory that all builders should build houses that are designed  to be adapted to prevent water penetrating houses. After all houses are basically a large brick container with holes in.. Air vents, doors, windows etc.

If i lived in a high risk home that could be flooded, i would fit sealed water proof shutters over all air vents, in front of doors and windows. Even other areas in the home Toilets, Sink wastes could be retro fitted with some thing to stop water coming in. 

It beggars belief we can send people to the moon, but we can't stop water getting into our homes...

Why do you never see anyone taking action to prevent water getting in to their homes?

Surely it can't be that hard, sand bags are a waste of time...

On 19/11/2019 at 09:31, alandrea0 said:

It should be made compulsory that all builders should build houses that are designed  to be adapted to prevent water penetrating houses. After all houses are basically a large brick container with holes in.. Air vents, doors, windows etc.

When you are buying a house the solicitor is meant to highlight the flooding risk. At least I believe so.