Sheffield Railway Station 'drop Off Area'

On 17/11/2019 at 18:41, Daven said:

Think there is already a thread about this issue.

Consensus is that it's best to drop off at the layby/bus stop across the road from the station. Only a short walk across the pelcan crossing to the station.

When picking up, I park on the back road below the old post office and before Pond Street and wait for a call to say the person I am collecting has arrived then pick them up in the layby/bus stop just beyond the blade.

Obviously it depends which direction you intend traveling after said pickup/dropoff.

As I said .

On 17/11/2019 at 18:41, Daven said:

Think there is already a thread about this issue.

Consensus is that it's best to drop off at the layby/bus stop across the road from the station. Only a short walk across the pelcan crossing to the station.

When picking up, I park on the back road below the old post office and before Pond Street and wait for a call to say the person I am collecting has arrived then pick them up in the layby/bus stop just beyond the blade.

Obviously it depends which direction you intend traveling after said pickup/dropoff.

Do you mean the bus stop that has multiple pole mounted signs stating "No stopping except local buses" near the Howard? 

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

Yep. That will work, a constant stream of cars in and out through the barriers at busy periods. 

It works absolutely fine.   Unfortunately too many lazy self-important types would rather park up and sit waiting in the in the drop-off bay causing mayhem behind them.

I too wish there was far more enforcement by staff or some other organisation to move people on if they are sat waiting in any of the drop-off zones.  People wouldn't expect to get away with it outside in airport but somehow they think train stations it's perfectly acceptable to cause inconvenience to others.

Exactly the same thing happens at meadowhall interchange.  So many times I've seen cars parked up in the hatch drop-off area getting in the way whilst they sit there waiting for there are family and friends to arrive rather than spending 2 minutes actually bothering to park in a proper bay.

Edited by ECCOnoob

27 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

It works absolutely fine.   Unfortunately too many lazy self-important types would rather park up and sit waiting in the in the drop-off bay causing mayhem behind them.

I too wish there was far more enforcement by staff or some other organisation to move people on if they are sat waiting in any of the drop-off zones.  People wouldn't expect to get away with it outside in airport but somehow they think train stations it's perfectly acceptable to cause inconvenience to others.

Exactly the same thing happens at meadowhall interchange.  So many times I've seen cars parked up in the hatch drop-off area getting in the way whilst they sit there waiting for there are family and friends to arrive rather than spending 2 minutes actually bothering to park in a proper bay.

I dream of the Meadowhall issue at LMS!

Spot on post.

Edited by *_ash_*

9 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

No doubt it works fine now. However, the suggestion was that at busy times, all picker uppers would wait in that car park until summoned.

That busy time for picking up would also coincide with a busy time on the roads around the car park and others entering and leaving the car park.

So yeah, apart from all that, should be fine.

13 hours ago, Resident said:

Do you mean the bus stop that has multiple pole mounted signs stating "No stopping except local buses" near the Howard? 

Worth mentioning that the bus bay in question has a bus stop clearway restriction (denoted by the wide yellow line alongside the kerb and the pole mounted signs) which is enforceable by the Council. That means if you are spotted by a civil enforcement officer picking up and dropping off there in a car, you will get an instant ticket . 

You can't pick up/drop off on a bus stop clearway like you can on a double  / single yellow line (that doesn't have a loading restriction in force).

19 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Ok. Where do you wait near the station waiting for the phone call. Not an easy thing to do.

19 hours ago, dave_the_m said:

In the multi-storey car park next to the station, where there's 30 minutes free parking.

Out round the back of the Mercades garage next to Wren Kitchens is a good place as well, easy access to the station down from there.

On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 19:15, Bargepole23 said:

Ok. Where do you wait near the station waiting for the phone call. Not an easy thing to do.

Unfortunately, when it comes to parking,  need does not equate with "rights".

I see this all the time with ignorant parking, worst is obviously people parking across people's drives. The only time you have a right to park anywhere is if you have your own off road parking space, otherwise it is not up to the driver to make up his own mind about parking restrictions.

• 1 year later...

Don't know if anyone else has noticed but QPark seem to have withdrawn  the 30 minutes free parking at Sheffield station.

Consequently on Saturday morning the  small short term car park was full and the  drop off zone was totally blocked with parked cars.