Sheffield Railway Station 'drop Off Area'

7 hours ago, 1978 said:

Don't know if anyone else has noticed but QPark seem to have withdrawn  the 30 minutes free parking at Sheffield station.

Consequently on Saturday morning the  small short term car park was full and the  drop off zone was totally blocked with parked cars.

Thats going to catch a lot of people out who drive in thinking it still applies...how much will the half hour now cost?

On the rare visits I make with the car I've always found the drop-off area to be chaos. Completely full, cars parked awkwardly stopping other cars from easily entering and exiting, cars looping round to find a space then getting stuck at the exit as taxis and other cars are backed up and then no-one can get out of the car park. I've used the QPark a few times, hadn't realised they'd ditched the free half hour but then they'll know there's money to be made.

It's never been great even before the station re-work. When that started we'd assumed some of that dead space in front of the station would be used to better accommodate taxis and create better drop-off and pick-up facilities. Now we seem to have a huge useless concrete space that is barely ever occupied. Maybe there was a reason that space couldn't be used for cars and taxis...

6 minutes ago, chipfork said:

On the rare visits I make with the car I've always found the drop-off area to be chaos. Completely full, cars parked awkwardly stopping other cars from easily entering and exiting, cars looping round to find a space then getting stuck at the exit as taxis and other cars are backed up and then no-one can get out of the car park. I've used the QPark a few times, hadn't realised they'd ditched the free half hour but then they'll know there's money to be made.

It's never been great even before the station re-work. When that started we'd assumed some of that dead space in front of the station would be used to better accommodate taxis and create better drop-off and pick-up facilities. Now we seem to have a huge useless concrete space that is barely ever occupied. Maybe there was a reason that space couldn't be used for cars and taxis...

Maybe the reason is that is it owner by a private enterprise other than Network Rail? You cant just build on it if it isnt yours.

6 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Maybe the reason is that is it owner by a private enterprise other than Network Rail? You cant just build on it if it isnt yours.

Seems strange a private enterprise would build all those concrete walls/seating and the giant urinal wall/feature. I would have thought a developer would have put it to more profitable use.

Just now, chipfork said:

Seems strange a private enterprise would build all those concrete walls/seating and the giant urinal wall/feature. I would have thought a developer would have put it to more profitable use.

Ah I thought you meant the bit of land between that and the Q-Park, which was still empty when I last looked.

7 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Sheffield is not unique in the drop-off/taxi rank situation. There are other main stations with a similar issue (and some that have got it right), but unless you have masses of luggage, you do have legs which usually work.

Indeed, the way some people moan about it they want to be dropped off 5 yards away from the platform, if you want that go and use a different station.

I parked in the car park the other day to pick someone up and I wasn't very happy to see the free period seemed to have disappeared. However, I left the car park around 20 minutes later and wasn't charged so it seems the free period does still exist - it just isn't advertised as such. Hopefully it will stay like that.

Edited by Nobby Stiles