General Election 2019 - Results Thread.

Labour could have won the election if they had a soft Brexit as their main policy. The Southern wealthy metropolitans forced the real Labour to eventually adopt a second referendum (with an option to Remain) which was the kiss of death for working class Northern Labour voters.

The People's Vote group destroyed the Labour vote and let in the Tories.

51 minutes ago, Albert the Cat said:

So your misses can won’t mind not bringing up the pension’s issue ever again. The law is against them as well as the sitting government. 

Correct in every detail, she has more sense than some who imagine that Corbyn could deliver £58 billion out of fresh air. As she says, she has never had it, so it's not missed.

Angel1.

11 hours ago, West 77 said:

The Conservative Party gained 43.6%  share of the electoral vote.  Are there any current EU country leaders who represent political parties that gained more than 43.6% in their national elections?   

I went to bed happy late on Thursday night knowing there wasn't going to be a hung parliament.  Coalition governments  might work well for other countries but thanks to the first past the post system the UK now have a Government that can get things done.

It’s the sort of things they want to get done (and I don’t mean Brexit) that worries me

2 hours ago, catmiss said:

It’s the sort of things they want to get done (and I don’t mean Brexit) that worries me

Exactly.

We may be 'out' of the EU by the end of January, (?) but we have at least another 4 years 10 months of Conservative rule to worry about. They can do an awful lot of damage in that time...

Edited by Anna B

19 hours ago, Thorpist said:

Is it not the case that the new MPs from recently converted labour areas will give the PM strength to resist the drift to the right of the Conservative party.

As has been stated the Conservatives have been lent the Labour vote due incompetence of the Labour leadership so hopefully they will represent their constituencies and hold the cabinet to account for their decisions

Do you really believe this?

Boris Johnson is the drift to the right.  In fact he's already far right, and more than ready to take others with him. The  new MPs that were elected are Conservatives, with Conservative  values and a Conservative mandate. If people don't agree with them,  they shouldn't have voted for them. Like it or not, the constituencies are now Conservative, why would they hold a Conservative cabinet to account?

Now they've been elected do you really think they give a toss about the electorate? .....That's why trust was always such an issue.

Edited by Anna B

20 hours ago, Albert the Cat said:

The breakdown of the vote by Lord Ashcroft is stunning reading. The lower social classes, especially C2 overwhelmingly voted Tory. Classes AB and C1 were definitely more left leaning.  Effectively, turkeys really did vote for Christmas. 

Unsurprisingly, the older demographic voted Tory with the tipping point at 45+. This very surprising to me that the WASPI support for Labour didn’t materialise. That was 3m votes that should have been hoovered up by Labour. Now, I don’t want to ever hear a single word from the WASPI group that feel hard done by. The courts ruled against them, the Tory government is unsympathetic to them. Only Labour offered them a way out but they were stupid enough to vote no. So they only got themselves to blame. 

Let's just say the C2s just aren't 'woke' (I hate that term but you'll have to forgive me.) You can't wake people by just talking to them, they have to venture down the rabbit hole and do the research for themselves. It's time consuming, complicated, and you have to care enough to do it.

Most people don't.  

Until people recognise Neoliberalism for what it is, what a danger it is, and where it will lead, the 'Conservatives' will continue to dupe people, just like they've done this time. And it's going to get a whole lot worse with archneoliberalist Boris at the helm.

Edited by Anna B

6 hours ago, Anna B said:

Let's just say the C2s just aren't 'woke' (I hate that term but you'll have to forgive me.) You can't wake people by just talking to them, they have to venture down the rabbit hole and do the research for themselves. It's time consuming, complicated, and you have to care enough to do it.

Most people don't.  

Until people recognise Neoliberalism for what it is, what a danger it is, and where it will lead, the 'Conservatives' will continue to dupe people, just like they've done this time. And it's going to get a whole lot worse with archneoliberalist Boris at the helm.

There is a reason why they are in the lower classes with limited education. This is reality and people need to understand this. We can’t just write in crayon what this all really means for them.