Pub With A Stuffed Bear In The Doorway?

19 hours ago, echo beach said:

That's just as I remember it, Bucannear. It was an attraction for passing travellers to stop and have a look at.

My parents, like no doubt many others, stopped on the way back from Skegness in the '50s to break the journey and have a drink at the Bridge Inn. I would stay in the car, as kids weren't allowed in pubs in those days, to drink my glass of shandy and eat a packet of plain crisps sprinkled with salt from the blue pack.

Fond memories of happy days.

echo.

Likewise echo beach. We had a caravan at Chapel St Leonards, 1957 till 1968 ish and would often stop on the way back at the Bridge inn. Indeed happy and more easy days. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

The Bear in Dunham. My earliest recollection of this would be in the late fifties going into the sixties.

At the time we lived at RAF Coningsby and we regularly did the trip into Sheffield to visit relatives driving on the A57 which crossed the Trent at Dunham Bridge.

To us kids at the time  the bridge was "The shilling bridge" as that was the toll for a car to cross and as we drove into Dunham. The next feature  was in  Dunham was the "Bear" in the doorway on the right hand side, across the road from the Bridge Inn, heading towards Sheffield. 

This was in place for many years and I can remember it was still there in the seventies.

Over the last fifteen years I have been back to the UK several times and on many occasions have made the trip along the A57 back into Lincolnshire and Coningsby. 

Sadly the Bear has gone but you still have to pay a Toll to cross the Bridge!

Edited by CF8M