South Of Sheffield Traffic Madness

Trying to cycle in Sheffield is akin to swimming with sharks. If the hills don't finish you off, the mad drivers will and failing that your lungs will be clogged with diesel particulate. It really isn't a  safe or practical cycling city I'm afraid. I bit more thought on the layout of roads and two lane entering the centre for left and right shops would clear Bochum parkway faster. There is room to do this. 

2 hours ago, hardworker said:

Trying to cycle in Sheffield is akin to swimming with sharks.

So pretty safe if you keep your wits about you then........

chances of being killed by a shark  = 1 in 3.75 million

chances of being killed in car accident  = 1 in 84

See: https://www.thewildlifemuseum.org/exhibits/sharks/odds-of-a-shark-attack/

The whole of Sheffield's road network is set up restrict or stop as you get closer to the centre with rail bridges, towns, other roads & rivers as natural restrictions. two lanes become one and then you hit the traffic lights. Not one area in Sheffield has a road in or out that you can get from one side of the city to the other without a junction that stops you. No ring road, no fly over, no underpass. It has all been made flat and that costs time, money and has raised pollution levels to there highest ever.  Cycling is dangerous because car drivers that have never cycled don't have a clue what its like for cyclists on the roads  and drive too closely.  I would like to see cycling on the road as part of the driving test. 

3 minutes ago, Hadron said:

The whole of Sheffield's road network is set up restrict or stop as you get closer to the centre with rail bridges, towns, other roads & rivers as natural restrictions. two lanes become one and then you hit the traffic lights. Not one area in Sheffield has a road in or out that you can get from one side of the city to the other without a junction that stops you. No ring road, no fly over, no underpass. It has all been made flat and that costs time, money and has raised pollution levels to there highest ever.  Cycling is dangerous because car drivers that have never cycled don't have a clue what its like for cyclists on the roads  and drive too closely.  I would like to see cycling on the road as part of the driving test. 

Not a deal different to any other UK city really.

No underpass or flyover (thank God) - but Sheffield does have a ring road .

Edited by Daven

The hills do make a massive difference to many people in Sheffield-the elderly, the ill who can't walk up hills but could walk a distance on flat roads, people pushing babies in buggies. These are all people for whom bikes would not necessarily be an answer, and the hills are significant.  If there were trams in the south of the city they would provide an answer, but I have no idea where you could put them! Ecclesall Road or Psalter Lane are certainly not wide enough for them. Trams are brilliant to get to Meadowhall once you get to the city centre, but some better transport in the south would be great. Also, as someone said, getting across the city. via public transport is impossible. Bents Green to  Crookes/Fulwood for example. Again, the hills make it difficult to walk too, not just because of the hills but the lack of decent pavements.