South Of Sheffield Traffic Madness

11 hours ago, WokeyMcWokeface said:

Why is the U-turn dangerous?  If the lights to turn right are on green, all other traffic is stationary.

By asking that question you have made yourself look really silly.

I do hope you don't drive

15 hours ago, bassett one said:

its the set out with the width of the parking bays,also its tight turning out and the cars reversing out onto the oncoming traffic ect,i have been to many shopping centres,but this is restricted ,as if it was designed for 60s,to 90s car sizes ,not todays cars,i have visited the site from it opening and hear complaints galore and add this u turn short cut,plus have you noticed lots of crossings in a small length of road.

Is there something wrong with your car or are you driving a car which is too big for you to drive safely ?

The width of the parking spaces are standard and adequate and I haven't noticed any 'tight turning'.

The crossings are for pedestrians and are necessary to ensure their safety. Most drivers don't have a problem with these.

8 hours ago, Daven said:

By asking that question you have made yourself look really silly.

I do hope you don't drive

I do indeed drive, and regularly U turn at that junction.  There are no signs to say you can't,  and it's stationary traffic in all directions apart from the right turn from which you make the U turn. There is  no pedestrian crossing in the path of the U turn, and it's from a standing start as opposed to at speed. Perhaps  you could enlighten me though?

1 hour ago, WokeyMcWokeface said:

I do indeed drive, and regularly U turn at that junction.  There are no signs to say you can't,  and it's stationary traffic in all directions apart from the right turn from which you make the U turn. There is  no pedestrian crossing in the path of the U turn, and it's from a standing start as opposed to at speed. Perhaps  you could enlighten me though?

That's actually a valid point. !

I sometimes make a u-turn where there are no signs that say that you Can't. Langsett road is one of them.:thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

I would get radical with Sheffield's traffic. Make Chesterfield Road a one-way system along with Abbeydale Rd. One way into the city, the other way out. There's plenty of connecting roads for those living along either route. It'd take some getting used to, but the traffic into the city on Chesterfield Rd is ludicrous and time-consuming. Two lanes in (or out) would make far more sense.

5 hours ago, wearysmith said:

I would get radical with Sheffield's traffic. Make Chesterfield Road a one-way system along with Abbeydale Rd. One way into the city, the other way out. There's plenty of connecting roads for those living along either route. It'd take some getting used to, but the traffic into the city on Chesterfield Rd is ludicrous and time-consuming. Two lanes in (or out) would make far more sense.

I love that idea

13 hours ago, wearysmith said:

So how do you propose to link up Abbeydale Road to Meadowhead - which road(s) would be dual carriageway?

9 hours ago, Longcol said:

So how do you propose to link up Abbeydale Road to Meadowhead - which road(s) would be dual carriageway?

I don't propose anything. I'm not in Council planning. But as someone who uses both roads and have been frequently caught up in bottleneck congestion, a sensible one way system would seem to be something that could be considered.

Just don't let the clowns who organised the one-way system in the City Centre get involved. That is ludicrous.

Edited by wearysmith

1 hour ago, wearysmith said:

I don't propose anything. I'm not in Council planning. But as someone who uses both roads and have been frequently caught up in bottleneck congestion, a sensible one way system would seem to be something that could be considered.

Just don't let the clowns who organised the one-way system in the City Centre get involved. That is ludicrous.

I thought (maybe rather hastily) that Abbeydale Road could be linked to Chesterfield Road via Abbey Lane at one end and the two roads linked via Wolsley Road at the other end.