South Of Sheffield Traffic Madness

5 hours ago, Planner1 said:

We have also spent very substantial amounts on bus corridors and bus priority to improve the quality, speed and punctuality of bus services.

Bus corridors? Again, they're too short, and often have cars parked in them. 

15 minutes ago, ads36 said:

It doesn't really go anywhere. It's probably quite useful if you live in Hillsborough, but other than that, it couldn't be less useful if it tried.

Yeah, no-one wants to go to city centre, Meadowhall, Crystal Peaks, University, Railway Station, the Arena, Centertainment, West St, Netherthorpe, Norfolk Park, Manor, Hollinsend, Carbrook, Attercliffe, Gleadless, Herdings, Birley, Hackenthorpe, Mosborough, Halfway, Mosborough, do they?

Strange how thousands of people seem to find it useful every day.

6 minutes ago, ads36 said:

Bus corridors? Again, they're too short, and often have cars parked in them. 

I think you are mistaking bus lanes for bus corridors.

Bus lanes are one part of the toolkit of measures that can be used on a bus corridor. 

Bus corridors tend to cover whole routes, like the 51 or 52 routes.

Again, politicians decide on the exact measures that are to be deployed. Loss of parking tends to be controversial and can be viewed as a vote loser by politicians. Therefore compromises are often made and bus lanes are sometimes only operational at peak hours. The government have also made enforcing such restrictions more difficult by largely banning camera enforcement of parking contraventions.

38 minutes ago, ads36 said:

We only ever build small sections, they never link up. The cycle lane at charter square is good, but its isolated. 

That’s because the small sections are built as parts of other projects that only cover that area, or as part of a planning condition, like at Charter Sq.

Very large, area wide or corridor based schemes cost a lot of money, which usually comes from the government, normally in a competitive bidding scenario.

Guest busdriver1
58 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Yeah, no-one wants to go to city centre, Meadowhall, Crystal Peaks, University, Railway Station, the Arena, Centertainment, West St, Netherthorpe, Norfolk Park, Manor, Hollinsend, Carbrook, Attercliffe, Gleadless, Herdings, Birley, Hackenthorpe, Mosborough, Halfway, Mosborough, do they?

Strange how thousands of people seem to find it useful every day.

With good initial planning, it could have been thousands every hour, poor planning got poor end results

1 hour ago, Planner1 said:

Yeah, no-one wants to go to city centre, Meadowhall, Crystal Peaks, University, Railway Station, the Arena, Centertainment, ...

Exactly.

Who *does* want to go from the city centre to meadowhall? From crystal peaks to the university, from the station to the arena?

Most of the places served by the tram are 'destinations' , you don't build a journey out of destinations, you need somewhere to start. For most people, that'll mean their home. And Sheffield's trams seem to go out of their way to avoid residential areas. It's of no use at all to more than half the city.

This thread is about Meadowhead, there's no tram service to Meadowhead. 

Yes, we've put in a bid for £85million from the government, for transport projects. We could do something transformative with that money, but we'll just spend it on a car park, or making the parkway queues 'look' shorter.

You can't get from One side of the City to the Other without major problems.

Some sort of 'fly over' is needed. Cut the city out all together.

Say from Hillsbrough, i deed to get to Gleadless.. 3 miles Ish?

Can take an HOUR if not more and all the hassle to boot.. That's plain ridiculous in this day and age.

I use both my car and public transport as appropriate.    If going just to the city centre I take a bus.   However, where imo public transport is poor in Sheffield and car travel the only sensible alternative is travelling from one suburb to another.   E.g. a trip from my home at Crookes to the gym on Ecclesall Road by car takes around ten minutes,  but a bus journey of an hour due to the fact everything goes in and out of the city centre where a change is required.    What's needed are more circular bus routes before car usage is penalised.

14 minutes ago, kaytie said:

I use both my car and public transport as appropriate.    If going just to the city centre I take a bus.   However, where imo public transport is poor in Sheffield and car travel the only sensible alternative is travelling from one suburb to another.   E.g. a trip from my home at Crookes to the gym on Ecclesall Road by car takes around ten minutes,  but a bus journey of an hour due to the fact everything goes in and out of the city centre where a change is required.    What's needed are more circular bus routes before car usage is penalised.

Use a bicycle. Or walk.

Or don't go at all.

Edited by Bargepole23

4 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Use a bicycle.

Or don't go at all.

Well that's a helpful comment isn't it..!

What if it's raining heavily..?

You need to be there kind of thing. 

A bicycle isn't going to cut it.!