Bus Fares Up Again,Why?

With Such a unreliable bus services we have in South Yorkshire,we seem to get a fare increase every year with no signs of any improvement in the reliability in the Service,Hope the Council in Sheffield can take over the services of First & Stage Coach and bring the prices back down again

13 minutes ago, Funky_Gibbon said:

No possibility of that happening now.

Oh I dunno - BoJo's hedge fund chums buy up First, Stage Coach etc for next to nowt - a bill making public transport councils responsibility passed - First / Stage Coach share prices soar - councils have to by firms at inflated prices - hedge funds pop champagne corks - repeat for other services........................................

They go up every year. Simple reason - cost of providing the service goes up with inflation.

Commuting by bus in Sheffield is actually quite cheap compared with some other areas and a Citywide pass that works on ALL buses and trams in Sheffield is still about the same price as a First only pass was in 2010, almost a decade ago!

Not sure how the council would make the buses any more reliable - they won't magic away all the traffic congestion that delays the buses!

Edited by Andy C

Guest busdriver1
1 hour ago, Andy C said:

They go up every year. Simple reason - cost of providing the service goes up with inflation.

Commuting by bus in Sheffield is actually quite cheap compared with some other areas and a Citywide pass that works on ALL buses and trams in Sheffield is still about the same price as a First only pass was in 2010, almost a decade ago!

Not sure how the council would make the buses any more reliable - they won't magic away all the traffic congestion that delays the buses!

The annual winge, councils have tried and failed, they were followed in some areas by PTE's who tried and failed, however the cynic in me believes that IF the council ran the buses there would be wholesale changes to road layouts , priorities and restrictions.

7 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

The annual winge, councils have tried and failed, they were followed in some areas by PTE's who tried and failed, however the cynic in me believes that IF the council ran the buses there would be wholesale changes to road layouts , priorities and restrictions.

Might have been the case 10+ years ago - can't see that SCC have the money to make wholesale changes these days.

In December I have seen three buses being towed away at different locations and four standing still with emergency lights flashing.

Public transport is overpriced and what you get for it is also inferior but when you live on an island people don't notice the difference as much. 

2 hours ago, LuSiVe said:

My bus fare has just gone down by £12 a month ...

Mines gone up about £6 a month. If you had long distance fares you seem to have done alright out of stagecoachs changes. I'm now forced to buy a ticket that's also valaid for the tram even though I'm nowhere near a tram since they removed the bus only tickets

4 hours ago, thecult said:

Mines gone up about £6 a month. If you had long distance fares you seem to have done alright out of stagecoachs changes. I'm now forced to buy a ticket that's also valaid for the tram even though I'm nowhere near a tram since they removed the bus only tickets

Citybus remains available as the Sheffield bus only option.