Dear Forum. Relationship With An Alcoholic

On 07/01/2020 at 05:49, Lex Luthor said:

Well done, Bob, it takes guts to admit you have a problem.

It seems to me that you have taken the first big step in recognising this.

I'm sorry to hear that you have not had a good experience with your GP.  I hope you will be able to access other help/services in the near future.

Totally agree that it takes courage to acknowledge the problem publicly and, although sadly unsuccessful, have taken steps to find help. There are a lot of non statutory organisations (not just AA) who can help. Have you thought of trying Fitzwilliam clinic?

12 hours ago, catmiss said:

Totally agree that it takes courage to acknowledge the problem publicly and, although sadly unsuccessful, have taken steps to find help. There are a lot of non statutory organisations (not just AA) who can help. Have you thought of trying Fitzwilliam clinic?

The service is on Sidney / matilda Street, Fitzwilliam is for opiate users. 

Call Sheffield Treatment And Recovery Team on 0114 305 0500

12 hours ago, Doubtful said:

Something I read elsewhere to keep you sane ....

The three C's for friends and relatives.

Cause, control and cure.

Cause
You didn't cause it.

Control
You can't control it 

Cure 
You can't cure it.

Totally agree. WE were always trying to find out how WE Caused it. WE were always trying to find out to Control it. WE knew we couldn't Cure it. Finding the 3 Cs helped us. We know (and always knew) the only person who can deal with the 3 Cs is the person who has the addiction. All we can do is sit and wait for the next episode and be there if we are needed. It is hard.