M1 Speed Cameras

2 hours ago, Janus said:

Just out of interest, what sort of "distance travelled" would be used by the camera system to calculate the average speed of a vehicle?

Assuming that you are not thinking that the discussion above related to average speed cameras, the answer to your question is that it depends ... 

• 2 weeks later...

I drove past 40mph speed limit ‘strong winds’ warning signs, M1 north just after Meadowhall, I was driving more than 40mph (...yeah, I know) didn’t see any flashes on the northbound carriageway but did see camera light flashes on the south bound carriageway but didn’t see any cars that side and have no idea if the southbound carriageway had ‘strong wind’ and 40mph speed limit signs.

If I’ve been caught driving over the 40mph speed limit signs would I have actually seen the camera flash in my mirror (which I didn’t), are they that obvious or would you not realise you’ve been flashed at ? I think I was possibly more distracted by the flashing lights covering the southbound side and wondering if those flashes were for me ?! 
Obviously now panicking and waiting to see if I receive an NIP and if I do how much it’s going to cost me.

24 minutes ago, Val Addison said:

I drove past 40mph speed limit ‘strong winds’ warning signs, M1 north just after Meadowhall, I was driving more than 40mph (...yeah, I know) didn’t see any flashes on the northbound carriageway but did see camera light flashes on the south bound carriageway but didn’t see any cars that side and have no idea if the southbound carriageway had ‘strong wind’ and 40mph speed limit signs.

If I’ve been caught driving over the 40mph speed limit signs would I have actually seen the camera flash in my mirror (which I didn’t), are they that obvious or would you not realise you’ve been flashed at ? I think I was possibly more distracted by the flashing lights covering the southbound side and wondering if those flashes were for me ?! 
Obviously now panicking and waiting to see if I receive an NIP and if I do how much it’s going to cost me.

Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned.. but if its the worst case scenario it will be 3pts on licence and £100 fine.

However, if like me its your first offence, you will be offered a speed awareness course £95 and no pts on licence.

I've seen the South side flash but not the North bound straight after entering the M1 via J34N. During rush hours when the speed limit is brought down to 60 drivers still do 70 plus. Might not be enforced at the moment but do tell us

Edited by Squimage

You never get flashed in the face by speed cameras. Even cameras that you drive into are usually infra red thingys and don't have a flash they also have road markings on the road (Truvelo). Gatso flashing cameras get you from behind.

• nikki-red changed the title to M1 Speed Cameras
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I need some help i was travelling from leeds to sheffield meadowhall, it was very windy when i crossed J35 i got the sign saying 60mph due to wind on the bridge i reduced the speed to 60 then i moved to 4th lane which is an exit to J34 meadowhall, when i was about to approach the exit the speed limit again reduced to 40mph,

Because bridge was after the J34 so i was thinking that the speed limit does not implement on me but just before the J34i saw camera flashed on me i am not sure if it was front or back but it definitely camera which flashed. Now i am worried that i will get speeding ticket. 

PS: Camera flashed on 9th February and and today is 24th Feb but still i have not received anything .

Edited by nikki-red