Why Should We Be In Awe Of Doctors And Surgeons ?

On 20/02/2020 at 15:34, Baron99 said:

The original question was "Why Should We Be In Awe Of Doctors And Surgeons?" Well we don't have to. 

Nor should it be "Should We Be In Awe Of Doctors And Surgeons?" 

However we should be in awe of the advancements in medical science & be grateful that some people have took the time, education, effort, cost & probably sacrificed a normal life during their teens & twenties to study for no other reason than to advance medical science even further for the benefit of the rest of us. 

Did anyone see the BBC's news report yesterday of a team of surgeons operating on a woman's brain tumour, who they woke up from the anaesthetic part way through the operation & had her playing her violin while removing parts of her brain, to ensure that she could continue to play the instrument she loves? 

The woman has made a full recovery. 

And what might that be?

I don’t think we should but I think a lot of them have an attitude that makes us think we should. I worked in the NHS for many years and many consultants were treated and behaved like gods who no-one would dream of questioning with Registrars preparing for this reverence. I think the situation is improving but still difficult for staff to whistle blow and patients/relatives to challenge 

My brother in law was a consultant surgeon at the Northern General. He told me that if ever I went for a consultantation about a surgical procedure to always ask the consultant  “ Will you be doing my operation ? “  When I  asked why , he said “ Because if he not he may bugger off to play golf while leaving your operation to a junior doctor .

On 05/02/2020 at 20:34, Chaddamp said:

Far to many public sector workers,MP,Drs,Police,Fire,etc etc ,earn too much and have easy employment contracts/pension entitlements/flexi hours giving time off .My Ma died on a Friday..Dr who confirmed passing went off on a 4 day break so my family couldn't .oh god ,we could.nt get to see Mum till 10 days after cos the Dr didn't come back on shift till then.I'm sick of hearing  about the public sector workers compared to private sector.Nursers 3 x 12 hour shift then 4 days off is that fair? Doctors doing 3 days in surgery then £600 day doing locum work.Teachers retiring,then going back  earning more in same school for doing same job.School lecturers who do nothing from May till new term in September,and get a quarter of the year off too.....Thank god tories are in

Sigh

I don't think you know what work is. Have you worked a 12hr shift? It is absolutely shattering. Especially if it is nurses who are literally on their feet for 11 and a half hours of them. I don't actually think they get paid enough for the hours they are being asked to work.

I am an engineer for comparison in the private sector. If I have to work 12hr shifts, for every week I work I get three weeks pay for doing it. This extra work is then calculated to enhance my paid holiday leave by about £3 a year. So yes, nurses are under paid. 

16 hours ago, Albert the Cat said:

Sigh

I don't think you know what work is. Have you worked a 12hr shift? It is absolutely shattering. Especially if it is nurses who are literally on their feet for 11 and a half hours of them. I don't actually think they get paid enough for the hours they are being asked to work.

I am an engineer for comparison in the private sector. If I have to work 12hr shifts, for every week I work I get three weeks pay for doing it. This extra work is then calculated to enhance my paid holiday leave by about £3 a year. So yes, nurses are under paid. 

Agreed Albert.  Fighting fires is a really easy job.  The same for a police officer.  You get that call about a terrorist opening fire. (Manchester)  They have it so easy!  Wish my job was that stress free!

On 05/02/2020 at 17:14, pattricia said:

I still don’t think patients complain enough. I was a State Registered nurse and my brother in law a consultant surgeon. I wonder how many medical mistakes have gone unnoticed ?

I hope no one is "in awe" of doctors and surgeons but of course some are.  They just do a job for which they are highly trained.  They should do it to a good standard and that should be expected of them.

Of course, it's humbling to some degree if a medical professional acts in such a way as to cure you of a disease of improve your health in some way.  But they aren't Gods.  They are just human beings.  Even though some of them elevate themselves to God-like status.

I think doctors and surgeons are brought to task when things go wrong.  They are very good at supporting each other though and they close ranks very efficiently.  Unlike nurses - who are not very good at  supporting each other in such situations.  

Patients don't complain enough because they don't know their rights or have sufficient knowledge of their condition or treatment.  That's why  some still look up to the doctors and surgeons with deference.  

Many medical mistakes go unnoticed I'm sure.  The majority of them do not have major consequences.  The ones that do usually get found out.