Current Scams...

On 06/05/2020 at 17:19, pintor said:

I keep getting @mail about my pay pal, which I never use, saying open this in one drive, from  josgandosyo, any ideas?

You can report it via a phishing notification to spoof@paypal.co.uk

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

Again, another "new one" today....different method, too.

Landline phone call, listen to SMS message.

Did so, very garbled. Something about recent non-use of one of my email accounts

Within minutes, a follow-up email - to the BT account holder - supposedly from a BT "service", but using a co.uk address, as opposed to a dot com.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/05/2020 at 10:44, RiffRaff said:

Yet another new 'un!

This time, an email from Amazon...except it isn't, if you check the sender carefully!

Amaozn!

There are quite a few of these- not just Amazon but also Morrison/Sainsbury's/Tesco.

To report them, use report@phishing.gov.uk and FIBPhishing@city-of-london.pnn.police.uk

(but each retailer also seems to have its own 'fraud/spam' reporting e-mail address).

23288762444  might have + 44 or 0  as the first digits.

Don't answer and don't call back. Block it.

I did a quick check on Google and quite a few reporting it as a scam.

Edited by zach

2 minutes ago, zach said:

23288762444  might have + 44 or 0  as the first digits.

Don't answer and don't call back. Block it.

I did a quick check on Google and quite a few reporting it as a scam.

Standard practice, for me at least, is to ignore them attempt to check them out on the 'net.  For emails, Mailwasher checks them - obvious spam is highlighted and binned automatically, any it isn't sure about, I check in plain text, and then decide.

53 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Standard practice, for me at least, is to ignore them attempt to check them out on the 'net.  For emails, Mailwasher checks them - obvious spam is highlighted and binned automatically, any it isn't sure about, I check in plain text, and then decide.

It is for me too. The phone/network sorts most but the odd one gets through and needs a manual block. I think it's a fairly standard option on most mobile phones now.

Still very annoying why some NHS departments use withheld numbers. I'd like to block all those too but not an option at the moment.

8 minutes ago, zach said:

It is for me too. The phone/network sorts most but the odd one gets through and needs a manual block. I think it's a fairly standard option on most mobile phones now.

Still very annoying why some NHS departments use withheld numbers. I'd like to block all those too but not an option at the moment.

The strange thing, at least in my recent experience, is the spam phone calls all have a number,  although some of them are such obscure (or even non-allocated) area codes that they are easy to spot. If I'm actually in the room when the phone rings, I can almost check them in real time, if I'm bored enough to bother. :wink:

Edited by RollingJ

On 25/05/2020 at 15:54, RollingJ said:

The strange thing, at least in my recent experience, is the spam phone calls all have a number,  although some of them are such obscure (or even non-allocated) area codes that they are easy to spot. If I'm actually in the room when the phone rings, I can almost check them in real time, if I'm bored enough to bother. :wink:

However, be aware that anyone anywhere can buy an out-of-area number.

So a Sheffielder can buy one that looks like it's in London but isn't.

5 minutes ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

However, be aware that anyone anywhere can buy an out-of-area number.

So a Sheffielder can buy one that looks like it's in London but isn't.

I am well aware, but the point I was trying to make was that a lot of these spam calls - usually, but not exclusively, originating on the Indian sub-continent, merely spoof the number with little or no knowledge of where the area code applies - like the one I had from 'Amazon' from Sark - I somehow don't think Amazon have a call centre there.