Current Scams...

5 minutes ago, pattricia said:

Getting a lot of calls this week  saying that they are from BT and they are going to cut off my Internet. I have BT Call Blocker but when I dial this to block the call,   BT say the scam caller did not leave their number.

Strange, @pattricia - have you got caller display on your phone?

In any case, as you know, BT would not call you - the message would come from your ISP - in the very unlikely event that this was to happen.

2 minutes ago, pattricia said:

I do not have caller display on my phone and BT is my ISP.

OK.  If I were you, I would get a caller display phone, but that is your decision. Regardless, these calls, which seem to be one of the scammers favourites at the moment are total fakes - as you know.

I had a pleasant chat with a scammer yesterday on the landline. He said my washing machine had come to end of warranty. I said I haven't got one I go to stream and beat my washing on a rock. Don't think he understood my sarcasm as he then asked had I got any other electricity items. I said no cos I live in a tent, I haven't even got a phone. He then laughed and said ok I think I understand, have a nice day, I said you too. Now if they were all like that...

53 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

OK.  If I were you, I would get a caller display phone, but that is your decision. Regardless, these calls, which seem to be one of the scammers favourites at the moment are total fakes - as you know.

Yes, I could do with a caller display phone but if the scammer withholds their number, then no number will be displayed.

Had the already-known "PayPal" text to my mobile a few minutes ago.

Recent payment not recognised, something wrong with account number, log in to sort... usual rubbish they dream up.

Whilst most folk will rumble what's going on, I guess they only need 1 in a 1000 to fall for it...

Radio Sheffield had the subject about a Sheffield man losing £4500 with Amazon Prime,he got a call about Amazon Prime,which Amazon never do,but the person caught out didn"t realise this,and they got hold of is bank details so lost is money,just had two calls this morning and i knew it was fake as Amazon do not call you at All,so warn everyone not to answer these calls

3 hours ago, pattricia said:

Yes, I could do with a caller display phone but if the scammer withholds their number, then no number will be displayed.

I had the BT call blocker service but still got tired of numerous,ever changing numbers that I had to block.Ultimately there was no capacity to add more numbers.

Much better for me is the 100% Call blocker phones which only ring out for numbers in your contacts,or have to announce their name before ringing out.

If I check the call registers I am still getting dozens of calls a month from spurious numbers that never ring out.