Current Scams...

I used to get loads of spam calls - in the days before these vermin discovered the 'recorded message' trick, and at first answered them and talked rubbish until they either realised I was wasting their time, or until I got bored (the usual reason😄). After a while though, I got fed up and just checked the number - if I recognised it, or was expecting a call from someone whose number I was unsure  of, I answered.

Unrecognised numbers were left to the mercy of 1571, and if they left a message I would check it. I still got loads of spam calls, but over a 6 month or so period they dwindled to smaller and smaller occurrences - these days, I can go a couple of months with none. This has taught me that the various spam factories cooperate, and unanswered numbers are removed from their dialling  lists - peace and quiet now reigns.

Haven't had many lately but now 3 in two days from Amazon saying "your amazon prime  etc will be debited £39.95, to cancel stay on the line".

Put the phone down, Bit dubious as I don't have Amazon prime, but a friend recently had £900 taken out of his account  by them,  luckily his bank refunded the money

A suggestion IF you pick up an unknown number: Lift receiver, listen (but don't speak) for 5 or so seconds - if it cuts out, it's a robo-spam call.

These days, most spam of the Amzon/HMRC/RTA variety is voice activated recordings, so if you don't speak, it still costs them whatever they pay for connection costs, but you don't have to listen to the carp.

4 hours ago, 1295galaxy said:

Radio Sheffield had the subject about a Sheffield man losing £4500 with Amazon Prime,he got a call about Amazon Prime,which Amazon never do,but the person caught out didn"t realise this,and they got hold of is bank details so lost is money,just had two calls this morning and i knew it was fake as Amazon do not call you at All,so warn everyone not to answer these calls

Had the same call from Amazon myself this morning.  I blocked them with my BT Call Blocker but they still ring again.

@dutchFrom my experience, it is very rarely 0601 numbers, it is 99.9% spoofed 'UK' national numbers created by scammers operating outside of the UK. And before you tell me I am wrong, I will tell you that I am a volunteer on a site set up to monitor this type of illegal activity, so, yes, I do know what I am talking about.

Had a call from 'Dave', (that'll be Dave from down Mumbai way, judging by his accent), telling me about problems with my BT Openreach broadband band & that I need to speak to one of their other departments.  Bear in mind I'm not with BT. 

Me: 'Problems with my broadband?  What problem?

Dave: 'Problems.'

Me:  'is that right?' 

Me:  'Is thst right?' 

Me: 'is that right?'

You can guess where this was heading?  Dave eventually gave up after about 30 more seconds & hung up. 

9 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Had a call from 'Dave', (that'll be Dave from down Mumbai way, judging by his accent), telling me about problems with my BT Openreach broadband band & that I need to speak to one of their other departments.  Bear in mind I'm not with BT. 

Me: 'Problems with my broadband?  What problem?

Me:  'is that right?' 

Me:  'Is thst right?' 

Me: 'is that right?'

You can guess where this was heading?  Dave eventually gave up after about 30 more seconds & hung up. 

So 'Dave' had problems? Poor love.🤣

And of course,he was aware that Openreach never contact end-users direct?

Edited by RollingJ