Current Scams...

Another parcel from China which I haven't ordered and a letter from Customs asking me to pay charges of £29.56 to receive it -  I'm not going to pay this as I believe they send stuff out as a way of scamming people.

What would you do?  

5 minutes ago, cressida said:

Another parcel from China which I haven't ordered and a letter from Customs asking me to pay charges of £29.56 to receive it -  I'm not going to pay this as I believe they send stuff out as a way of scamming people.

What would you do?  

Ignore it, @cressida - as you say it is a pure scam.

On 23/10/2020 at 11:30, mikeG said:

Received email recently supposedly from DVLA telling me my car was untaxed and I would be fined £290 if I drove it before paying for tax. I was invited to 'click here to pay'.

Clicked the delete button as car is taxed till end of year and the email address was dodgy.

I had a dvla one today, picture of someone top left, wanting me to pay £480, @mail address has' ana' something in it, marked it as phishing 

On 28/07/2020 at 00:36, catmiss said:

Had a frightening call on my mobile this afternoon from a Liverpool number supposedly from HMRC saying I was under investigation for tax fraud and if I didn’t press 1 a warrant for my arrest would be issued immediately. Although I terminated the call I was concerned but 101 assured me this was a scam call they were aware of

SYP website now warning of this scam  as is my on-line banking so I think some people have succumbed to this fraud 

Most large companies offer their own 'report spam/phishing in our name' e-mail addresses:

e.g .the one for HM Land Registry is at

reportafraud@landregistry.gov.uk

and the one for HSBC is at

phishing@hsbc.com

Two generic ones are City of London Police at

NFIBPhishing@city-of-london.pnn.police.uk

and HMG itself at

report@phishing.gov.uk

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, catmiss said:

Has anyone else had a lot of ‘Tesco’ or ‘Amazon’ reward emails? They all have an Illinois address to write to to if you want to withdraw. 

Sound very fishy to me. 

If they do not have your full name, they are fakes, and trying to get your details. 

You say they "have an Illinois address to write to" if you want to withdraw.  Usually, it is a button to click (which links to a fake site and gets your details etc).  DO NOT press it!

If you hover over the button but do not press it, it tells you the email address it links to.  Usually, they are false (for example if it is "petesite.com"), it's clearly not Amazon. 

All my Amazon emails and links are to "www.Amazon.co.uk".  Anything else would get me to put it in my TRASH folder, and probably refer it to Amazon. 

I've done a search and can't find anything to do with Illinois in any of my Amazon emails!  I'm not with TESCO, but would suggest the same is probably true.

Glad you asked before doing anything!   Stay safe!