Current Scams...

Another scam to watch out for on Whatsapp...

"A grandfather has told of how he lost money saved for Christmas presents after his family were duped by fraudsters on WhatsApp.

The 75-year-old, who wished to remain anonymous, said they had been tricked by criminals posing as his grand-daughter on the messaging service.

He transferred £1,550 to the con-artists, for an emergency medical bill that was a fake.

WhatsApp and trading standards officers are warning others of the scam".

I had an e-mail this morning supposedly from the N.H.S. telling me I could apply for my vaccination passport for travel. The first thing that struck me was the wording of, this has been going round the block for some time. Also there was a link at the bottom, I suppose you click on that and they have you. 

• 3 months later...

I just received a text message saying I had been in close contact with someone who has been self isolating and there is a link saying please order a test kit. It has to be a scam text as I know no one who has been isolating, they obviously think it is a good scam when the free tests are going to stop for most people.

1 minute ago, iansheff said:

I just received a text message saying I had been in close contact with someone who has been self isolating and there is a link saying please order a test kit. It has to be a scam text as I know no one who has been isolating, they obviously think it is a good scam when the free tests are going to stop for most people.

There are a few of these going round, as I've seen on the site I usually use for checking 'dodgy' numbers, but the actual volume is small, and 99% of the actual landline calls seem to have stopped - I reckon the STIR/SHAKEN option has been introduced and the Indian sub-continent spam-factories cannot function.

3 hours ago, RollingJ said:

There are a few of these going round, as I've seen on the site I usually use for checking 'dodgy' numbers, but the actual volume is small, and 99% of the actual landline calls seem to have stopped - I reckon the STIR/SHAKEN option has been introduced and the Indian sub-continent spam-factories cannot function.

Yes I rarely get them on the landline as I have BT call guardian phones. I looked the number up and it says it is a personal number, 5 people had reported it in the last couple of days.

1 minute ago, iansheff said:

Yes I rarely get them on the landline as I have BT call guardian phones. I looked the number up and it says it is a personal number, 5 people had reported it in the last couple of days.

I very rarely get them on the land line. I had a spell a couple of years ago where I was getting 30+ a week, and although I didn't bother answering many of them, they kept coming, so I ignored them completely and over a couple of months the numbers decreased to three or four a month - now I get maybe 2 in four months, and I haven't bothered with new phones. There are only about three people who ring the landline and they are in the 'phonebook' so the names come up anyway. I only give my mobile number out these days, and for some lucky reason, I can probably count the 'spoof' calls on there on two hands, even though I have had the same number for maybe 30+ years.

14 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I very rarely get them on the land line. I had a spell a couple of years ago where I was getting 30+ a week, and although I didn't bother answering many of them, they kept coming, so I ignored them completely and over a couple of months the numbers decreased to three or four a month - now I get maybe 2 in four months, and I haven't bothered with new phones. There are only about three people who ring the landline and they are in the 'phonebook' so the names come up anyway. I only give my mobile number out these days, and for some lucky reason, I can probably count the 'spoof' calls on there on two hands, even though I have had the same number for maybe 30+ years.

If I get a call not on my phone list I send it to answer machine, if they dont leave a message I then block the number, not had many for the last few weeks thank goodness

1 minute ago, kidley said:

please forgive my ignorance but, how would you meet somebody who is self isolating ?

You visited them whilst they were isolating? No, I think this is another example of the brainpower of those that create this carp - they aren't really that smart, although some of the public are dumb enough to fall for it.