Current Scams...

15 minutes ago, hello1964 said:

When we get scam phone calls the wan.. rs know my name and address. I believe my phone company has dubious people selling details to scam artists. 

I wish a nuclear strike on your offices in whatever dump you reside, scam artists. 

@hello1964I don't know who your phone company is, but it is highly unlikely to be them giving the details away - the penalties are too severe for them to risk it. More likely, the information is 'out there'. Are you a heavy user of social media?

• 4 weeks later...

Had a text from 07786207664 this morning from"British Gas" asking for a meter reading, Didn't really understand it(being the wrong side of 80) asking to send reply with a Gas Meter reading in the following format G1234 or G12345, was does this mean I didnt reply.  Just had another text asking me to reply to previous text. The second text just came through with no number just British Gas Team. Is this another scam

58 minutes ago, kay1 said:

Had a text from 07786207664 this morning from"British Gas" asking for a meter reading, Didn't really understand it(being the wrong side of 80) asking to send reply with a Gas Meter reading in the following format G1234 or G12345, was does this mean I didnt reply.  Just had another text asking me to reply to previous text. The second text just came through with no number just British Gas Team. Is this another scam

I sent them my meter reading on Feb 2nd.. £506-72... I always wait for the bill to arrive, still not come...

So, last week I logged into my account to see if there was an update...

It said please send us a meter reading, I thought what is going on here, decided to ignore it...

Must be summat to do with this price increase...

Anyway still not paid owt, it'll reight itself...

5 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Not much anyone could do with your meter reading tbh, a quick Google suggests it may be a legitimate text but they have gone about it in a stupid fashion.

No I know they couldn't do much with my meter reading but I was wondering what they would want next, bank details? it wasn't the same type of text or email I receive from British Gas and was from a mobile number. When I was watching the news last night it said British Gas was contacting customers via text messages because site had crashed so panic over it was genuine but at the time I was unsure so didn't reply which I believe is this right thing to do

On 25/02/2022 at 11:31, iansheff said:

I just received a text message saying I had been in close contact with someone who has been self isolating and there is a link saying please order a test kit. It has to be a scam text as I know no one who has been isolating, they obviously think it is a good scam when the free tests are going to stop for most people.

The version that I got today from the “NHS “culminated with asking for card details to cover postage cost.