Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

1 hour ago, harvey19 said:

For goodness sake stop being so pessimistic and feeling sorry for yourself.

My family, friends and neighbours have a good life.

What is so bad about your life in reality ?

Try being proud of your country and look for monarchy.

My guess is nothing really.

Just stamping his feet like a spoilt teenager.

5 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Read all about it! 

Guardian reading, (presumably that's why she ran to the Guardian to vent her spleen?), 'intelligent', Left-wing leaning, middle class teacher blames Brexit for her own stupidity, even though her newspaper of choice highlighted the UK passport issue months ago. 

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2023/apr/29/briton-valid-passport-barred-from-flight-brexit-rules-eu

"I’d been so looking forward to seeing my son – all because a load of w*****s voted for Brexit." 

Hilarious 😂   Maybe she should have asked a Brexiteer to explain it to her?

I hope she's not an English teacher.

• Haha 1

On 20/04/2023 at 19:49, m williamson said:

ARM is a British semiconductor and software design company based in Cambridge. It is valued at £24 Billion. Hermann Hauser is the company founder and apparently is not particularly impressed with Brexit.

https://channeleye.co.uk/brexit-biggest-loss-of-sovereignty-since-1066/

So much so, that they have since gone NYSE for their IPO. Hey-Ho.

21 minutes ago, L00b said:

So much so, that they have since gone NYSE for their IPO. Hey-Ho.

Yes, the London Stock Exchange has gone from being the biggest in the world to not even being the biggest in Europe.

That title now belongs to Paris.  Speaking of which I went to Paris a couple of weeks back on the Eurostar and when I presented my passport at the French customs check in St Pancras the two French customs officials congratulated me on the Grand Slam! I'm a Blade and not a rugby fan but I accepted their good wishes with modest grace. Another benefit of having an Irish passport!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, harvey19 said:

Was there this amount of distress after decimalisation and metrication were introduced.

I’m certain that old world businesses at the time -especially the industrial type-that were long versed and invested in imperials, were howling.

That is an interesting analogy because, to the exact contrary of Brexit, these principles were introduced to facilitate international trade, not to impede it.

I don’t remember decimalisation and metrication removing people’s personal rights, however. So, probably a lot less distress, but just the usual reticence to change for the better from the usual luddites.

• Like 1

On 20/04/2023 at 18:49, m williamson said:

ARM is a British semiconductor and software design company based in Cambridge. It is valued at £24 Billion. Hermann Hauser is the company founder and apparently is not particularly impressed with Brexit.

https://channeleye.co.uk/brexit-biggest-loss-of-sovereignty-since-1066/

I think you'll find that ARM was sold to Japanese multinational, SoftBank Group, as long ago as mid 2016.  I know, I had shares in ARM.    So while it had a base in Cambridge, it was in fact a Japanese subsidiary.   Things got a bit messy a few years later when the Japanese were intending to sell it on to US tech group, Nvidia. 

So while one of the founders of ARM, Hauser, might not be impressed with Brexit,  ARM has longed ceased to be a wholly British company. 

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

I think you'll find that ARM was sold to Japanese multinational, SoftBank Group, as long ago as mid 2016.

July 2016, a month after the vote to leave and the value of the pound had dropped 12% against the yen :?

As a result of Brexit, SoftBank got a far better deal than they could have imagined possible.

I know, I had shares in ARM.

:?

So while it had a base in Cambridge, it was in fact a Japanese subsidiary. Things got a bit messy a few years later when the Japanese were intending to sell it on to US tech group, Nvidia.

All of this happened after the vote to leave, and is irrelevant to the question of whether ARM could ever happen in the UK again.

So while one of the founders of ARM, Hauser, might not be impressed with Brexit,  ARM has longed ceased to be a wholly British company. 

Hauser points out that, as a result of Brexit, it would not be possible for ARM to start in the UK today, or even consider doing so.

Brexit rules out any notion of a UK Silicon Valley for the reasons highlighted.

I think you'll find that ARM was sold to Japanese multinational, SoftBank Group, as long ago as mid 2016.  I know, I had shares in ARM.    So while it had a base in Cambridge, it was in fact a Japanese subsidiary.   Things got a bit messy a few years later when the Japanese were intending to sell it on to US tech group, Nvidia. 

Great! The story behind so many British companies.  Big business has a significant amount of influence on politics in any country. Most of it above board and understandable, some not so much.

If the company using its influence is foreign owned there is a possible clash of interests involved.  Nissan twisted arms over Brexit in order to get assurances, and apparently did get them.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/04/government-letter-to-nissan-reveals-brexit-promise-to-carmarkers

50 minutes ago, Magilla said:

July 2016, a month after the vote to leave and the value of the pound had dropped 12% against the yen :?

As a result of Brexit, SoftBank got a far better deal than they could have imagined possible.

:?

All of this happened after the vote to leave, and is irrelevant to the question of whether ARM could ever happen in the UK again.

Hauser points out that, as a result of Brexit, it would not be possible for ARM to start in the UK today, or even consider doing so.

Brexit rules out any notion of a UK Silicon Valley for the reasons highlighted.

My bold. 

The deal was being worked on for months before the Brexit vote in a climate that predicted, (right up to the day of the Brexit vote), the the UK would remain a member of the EU, so don't be silly trying to make out that the deal came about because of the Brexit result. 

Oh dear, Remainers.  What can you do with them?  I mean, we're coming up to 7 years. 

• Like 1