Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

2 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

You can say that again.

You could equally say that,   he doesn't want it back just to annoy anyone older than himself.

We live in a country with some strange people who can't make up their minds whether they believe in old traditions or modernisation  because they flip from one to the other.

As my mother used to say, ' They'll be old one day "

3 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

As my mother used to say, ' They'll be old one day "

Indeed, and I wont want to change everything about the world in order to suit my nostalgia whims.  Anyone clamouring for a return to pre-decimal currency is only doing it for two reasons: a) nostalgia, and b) selfishness, ignoring all the practical implications.

This is all off topic btw, absolutely nothing to do with Brexit.

Edited by HeHasRisen

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

Indeed, and I wont want to change everything about the world in order to suit my nostalgia whims.  Anyone clamouring for a return to pre-decimal currency is only doing it for two reasons: a) nostalgia, and b) selfishness.

But you have to admit the farthings with the bird pattern on them was lovely.

Did you experience using sterling currency ?

6 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

But you have to admit the farthings with the bird pattern on them was lovely.

Did you experience using sterling currency ?

I was born in the early 80s. Myself, along with the vast majority of the country, have absolutely no desire to change back to an archaic system of 240 pennies in a pound or whatever ridiculousness it was.

I remember doing it in primary school, God knows why it was taught given the system had vanished 15+ years beforehand, very odd.

Out of all the garbage spouted during the Brexit campaign I dont think anyone, not even Farage, was stating we could return to this system, it just seems to be something the boomers have latched onto, because going back would somehow stick two fingers up to Brussels. Odd logic.

Edited by HeHasRisen

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

If pre-decimal currency was great and fantastic it would still be in place. It isnt, which tell you all you need to know really. Nostalgia can be a bit rose tinted.

Completely wrong.     It was nothing to do with fault with our currency

We changed over in 1971 to prepare for our joining of the Common Market which took place in 1975.

That then eventually morphed into the European Union.

Ted Heath was always a big Euro lover and realised that to join Europe properly,  we had to decimalise. 

Whether decimal was better or worse,  it was a necessary evil which cost British families dearly, but everyone took the opportunity to raise their prices.

Don't let the facts get in the way of your delusions.   The old British currency was much loved by the people who initially hated decimalisation until they were left with no choice but to accept it.

3 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I was born in the early 80s. Myself, along with the vast majority of the country, have absolutely no desire to change back to an archaic system of 240 pennies in a pound or whatever ridiculousness it was.

I remember doing it in primary school, God knows why it was taught given the system had vanished 15+ years beforehand, very odd.

Mid Life crisis time. !!!!!!!!!

It was to teach mathematics in a way that could be related to a realistic situation and where parents could help their children.

Actual coins could be used to reinforce the lesson.

Just as an aside in relation to a pint of beer and the German large or small beer. Very often with your first large beer you were given a glass of schnapps.

3 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Don't let the facts get in the way of your delusions.   The old British currency was much loved by the people who initially hated decimalisation until they were left with no choice but to accept it.

OK, and 52 years later do you really think that love still exists with the general population? Sorry to disappoint you...it doesnt. The world has moved on. Deal with it.

Even without EU membership the currency would have changed at some point. given how the world was moving. As said, no other country in the world operates a non-decimal currency as far as I know. 

Edited by HeHasRisen

2 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Completely wrong.     It was nothing to do with fault with our currency

We changed over in 1971 to prepare for our joining of the Common Market which took place in 1975.

That then eventually morphed into the European Union.

Ted Heath was always a big Euro lover and realised that to join Europe properly,  we had to decimalise. 

Whether decimal was better or worse,  it was a necessary evil which cost British families dearly, but everyone took the opportunity to raise their prices.

Excellently explained.

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

OK, and 52 years later do you really think that love still exists with the general population? Sorry to disappoint you...it doesnt. The world has moved on. Deal with it.

We are dealing with it.

Us older folk have learned to adapt to all sorts of ideas.

13 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

This is all off topic btw, absolutely nothing to do with Brexit.

You keep saying that it's nothing to do with Brexit.

It is to do with us having been members of the European Union, with Brexit being the means by which we left.

All entwined,  so it is NOT off topic.