Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

21 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

think of the fun you can have finding a way to cook them which makes you like them. 

Quoted for truth. Lobster tandoori is really quite something.

13 hours ago, Delbow said:

If the Brexiters in government really, really care about keeping money in the UK, they'll use their new political independence to make sure companies can't offshore their profits and avoid paying corporation tax. Let's see if that happens.

Enhanced tax avoidance is a feature of Brexit, not a bug.

It's plebes' money that they want to keep in the UK. So expect capital controls before too long (on top of customs restrictions in destination EU countries), now that FoM of capital has been removed.

Edited by L00b

56 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

think of the fun you can have finding a way to cook them which makes you like them. 

Looking at the empty fish hall (is that the term?) at Peterhead that should ordinarily have 10k boxes of seafood for sale I think they've given it up as a bad job. 

2 hours ago, L00b said:

Enhanced tax avoidance is a feature of Brexit, not a bug.

It's plebes' money that they want to keep in the UK. So expect capital controls before too long (on top of customs restrictions in destination EU countries), now that FoM of capital has been removed.

Absolutely, I just think anyone who believes Brexit is going to help money stay in the country is severely deluded. The UK is already a tax haven, thanks to Crown Dependencies, though this was limited in more recent years due to EU regulations, but with Brexit those barriers to tax evasion and avoidance are now gone. Remember - some of the main beneficiaries of these are organised crime gangs and terrorists.

42 minutes ago, whiteowl said:

I see that now we're no longer bound by the evil EU overlords, the Government is considering scrapping some of the EU labour laws.

Didn't see that coming.... 🙄

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55725720

Didn't take long, two days ago Kwarteng was rubbishing the story as untrue :?

Just like there wasn’t going to be a border in the Irish Sea. There is a border in the Irish Sea.

On 15/01/2021 at 12:55, RollingJ said:

OK. The FT  wants me to pay - no thanks. The other two merely refer to an un-named 'source' - so all-in-all a load of unverified speculation.

... turns out, not so much on the speculation front :?

Edited by Magilla

Kwarteng along with Raab, Patel and Truss - all Government ministers, in a book 'Britannia Unchained' labelled British workers as 'the worst idlers in the world'. 

It just beggars belief that we are ruled by people who clearly disrespect the electorate in such a shoddy manner.

Though Patel, as evident from her bullying tactics, is clearly a nasty piece of work; Truss is famously vapid, and Raab said  he hadn't quite understood" how reliant UK trade in goods is on the Dover-Calais crossing.

I just wonder whether voters in red wall areas like Mansfield, Workington and Blyth Valley would agree?

5 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Kwarteng along with Raab, Patel and Truss - all Government ministers, in a book 'Britannia Unchained' labelled British workers as 'the worst idlers in the world'. 

It just beggars belief that we are ruled by people who clearly disrespect the electorate in such a shoddy manner.

Though Patel, as evident from her bullying tactics, is clearly a nasty piece of work; Truss is famously vapid, and Raab said  he hadn't quite understood" how reliant UK trade in goods is on the Dover-Calais crossing.

I just wonder whether voters in red wall areas like Mansfield, Workington and Blyth Valley would agree?

Speaking of Truss...

UK and US fail to do mini-trade deal as Trump exits:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55725718

...another one who thinks the UK's commitments are meaningless.

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

Just need to dangle the right carrots.

Sending foreigners home/stopping scroungers. Ben Bradley hasn't got a clue what poor people do with food vouchers, hes knows what his voters THINK they spend it on.

I see fishing and sea food business can now claim up to £100k each for lost income. I'm just checking how this works: (largely) vote for Brexit, get Brexit, start losing money because of Brexit, get given other people's money to be protected from the consequences of your own decisions. Is that it?