Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

8 minutes ago, ab6262 said:

distribution will stay the same especially as they will expand.

Distribution from the UK to the EU is being moved out of the UK, it explicitly says as much in the article!

Where exactly are they going to expand to? Everywhere else already has the same hurdles that we now have with the EU.

8 minutes ago, ab6262 said:

its now a separate market which i am sure they will continue to target and probably with better margins so win win.

For JD sports, not the UK exchequer, that trade (as you say) "doesnt even touch uk" anymore :?

Edited by Magilla

1 hour ago, Magilla said:

Distribution from the UK to the EU is being moved out of the UK, it explicitly says as much in the article!

as i said uk distribution stays in the uk for the home market as well as countries outside the EU

Where exactly are they going to expand to? Everywhere else already has the same hurdles that we now have with the EU.

i am sure JD will expand to many other markets and if importing direct to EU is cheaper then thats a good thing

For JD sports, not the UK exchequer, that trade (as you say) "doesnt even touch uk" anymore :?

why would JD be interested about the exchequer??😒

Just now, ab6262 said:

as i said uk distribution stays in the uk for the home market as well as countries outside the EU

Going to be a lot of people sat about then, since they have 400m less customers to service :?

Just now, ab6262 said:

i am sure JD will expand to many other markets and if importing direct to EU is cheaper then thats a good thing

For JD, not for the UK!

Countries outside of the EU have the same barriers we now have with the EU, so that trade is still unlikely to touch the UK, for the same reasons.

Just now, ab6262 said:

why would JD be interested about the exchequer??😒

They're not, but since the exchequer just lost the tax take on 1000 jobs (according to JDs chairman) and all the trade that came with them... it's bad news for the UK and a win for the EU... which was the point being made! :thumbsup:

6 minutes ago, Magilla said:

Going to be a lot of people sat about then, since they have 400m less customers to service :?

as i said it will still be run from uk , just the donkeywork done in EU

For JD, not for the UK!

and your point? thats just business.

Countries outside of the EU have the same barriers we now have with the EU, so that trade is still unlikely to touch the UK, for the same reasons.

not necessarily a lot of countries outside EU have far lower tariffs and restrictions, i know i import and export

They're not, but since the exchequer just lost the tax take on 1000 jobs (according to JDs chairman) and all the trade that came with them... it's bad news for the UK and a win for the EU... which was the point being made! :thumbsup:

win some lose some that was always going to be the case

40 minutes ago, ab6262 said:

as i said it will still be run from uk , just the donkeywork done in EU

That donkeywork happens where the money is generated, where wages and tax is paid.

42 minutes ago, ab6262 said:

and your point? thats just business.

My point is that in this case it's bad news for the UK, good news for the EU.

43 minutes ago, ab6262 said:

not necessarily a lot of countries outside EU have far lower tariffs and restrictions, i know i import and export

They'd have to be paying you to take their goods off their hands then, since we currently enjoy zero tariffs on EU trade...

...everywhere else has the same restrictions.

You don't import and export anything. :?

44 minutes ago, ab6262 said:

win some lose some that was always going to be the case

Feel free to highlight some EU based distributors moving a thousand jobs into the UK.

6 hours ago, tzijlstra said:

Here is a brilliant take on Brexit by James Dyson.

Brilliant, because once you start analysing what he is actually saying, you know that he is lying through his teeth about basically everything, but he is a Sir and an 'icon' of British ingenuity, so clearly he has to be right. The lack of criticality in this BBC article is disturbing to be honest.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56741000

I couldn't spot in the report or video where he was lying, did I miss something? 

25 minutes ago, Magilla said:

That donkeywork happens where the money is generated, where wages and tax is paid.

which is the lower end of the scale labour is far cheaper in europe

My point is that in this case it's bad news for the UK, good news for the E

maybe it is but do JD care? nope

They'd have to be paying you to take their goods off their hands then, since we currently enjoy zero tariffs on EU trade...

do you actually know how much tariffs are on certain goods??? have you heard of the general system of preference? did you know some emerging countries pay no tariff due to the GSP? everything imported has a code some tariffs are near to zero anyway.

...everywhere else has the same restrictions.

You don't import and export anything. :?

ha ha ok been importing and exporting for over 30 years into the EU , USA, and UK

Feel free to highlight some EU based distributors moving a thousand jobs into the UK.

i never said there would be

1 hour ago, ab6262 said:

which is the lower end of the scale labour is far cheaper in europe

Average wage isn't that dissimilar between the UK and RoI. They're not moving distribution from the UK because wages are cheaper :?

1 hour ago, ab6262 said:

do you actually know how much tariffs are on certain goods??? have you heard of the general system of preference? did you know some emerging countries pay no tariff due to the GSP? everything imported has a code some tariffs are near to zero anyway.

So which are these countries that have a lower than zero tariff rate?

1 hour ago, ab6262 said:

ha ha ok been importing and exporting for over 30 years into the EU , USA, and UK

LOL, of course you have! :hihi:

i never said there would be

You said "win some lose some". Wins for the UK seem to be a bit thin on the ground?

Edited by Magilla

1 hour ago, CS22 said:

I couldn't spot in the report or video where he was lying, did I miss something? 

Yup, this post. (Not a clue why it isn't including the blockquotes, afraid you'll have to go back a page to see the original)

8 hours ago, tzijlstra said:

So, as it is my lunch-hour, here is a breakdown of the lies: 

Truth: Science funding in the UK is down enormously compared to before Brexit and research institutions across the country have sounded the alarm bell at the lack of commitment from the government to invest in science. 

Truth: Already could do that... It has just become a lot harder to recruit people from the EU though, so overall it is a net-loss. 

Truth: Dyson is HQed in Singapore since 2019. It is no longer a British company therefore. It might want to sell more goods in SEA, but there is no reason to move the entire HQ (and thus tax responsibility) to Singapore, he could have just opened a regional office there, which is what most other companies have done. 

Although the new Points Based System might make it easier for Dyson to hire non-EU engineering talent, it has also lost the ability to hire EU engineering talent without any system required. It is very difficult to see how Dyson wins from the new system...

AstraZeneca is UK/Swedish, it works with an Italian manufacturer after the UK government asked Oxford to work with AZ and then thwarted the production agreement with a US manufacturer. Guess what, 2020 the UK was still operating as part of the EU. Also, I haven't a clue what 'independence of spirit' means but I am fairly sure every nationalist in the world will claim at least something similar. 

Yes it would, as it would be to suggest that you couldn't move to Asia due to the EU. Because you moved to Asia, when the UK was still in the EU. Even though Dyson doesn't say it explicitly, the article is about how it is great to be out of the EU... Smoke, mirrors and all that. 

Edited by tzijlstra

1 hour ago, tzijlstra said:

Yup, this post. (Not a clue why it isn't including the blockquotes, afraid you'll have to go back a page to see the original)

In that post #2962 you stated: "Truth: Science funding in the UK is down enormously compared to before Brexit and research institutions across the country have sounded the alarm bell at the lack of commitment from the government to invest in science." 

Can you provide details with any links to show that is the case as I can't really see much in the way of statistics about the current situation.

A couple of questions as well...

Does your bit of truth take into account the many £millions that the government has pumped into the development of the Coronavirus vaccine and does it factor in the truth that there has also been a 40% drop in applications to Horizon 2020?

Edited by apelike