Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

22 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

The PM has done a deal with the EU on Ireland.

All the efforts made to reach this deal, all the civil service and political resources committed to it, all the attention and time spent on negotiating it, is still only serving one purpose: Limiting the damage of Brexit. :roll:

He’s seen off Nicola Sturgeon.

He was PM when she left, it didn't happen because of anything he did. :roll:

If the PM solves the abuse of solicitors using the Human Rights which cost the tax payer millions of pounds

If the PM solves an issue that doesn't exist...

If the PM ignores UK law...

:?

and deals with the problem of migrants crossing the channel.

That are a direct result of Brexit... :?

I think he will see off Kier Starmer at the next election, I certainly didn’t think that a few months ago.

Good luck with that.

Edited by Magilla

23 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

The PM has done a deal with the EU on Ireland.  He’s seen off Nicola Sturgeon.

If the PM solves the abuse of solicitors using the Human Rights which cost the tax payer millions of pounds and deals with the problem of migrants crossing the channel,  I think he will see off Kier Starmer at the next election, I certainly didn’t think that a few months ago.

I was impressed with how Sunak explained everything in parliament yesterday.  It will be interesting to see opinion polls in the next few weeks. 

13 minutes ago, Axe said:

I was impressed with how Sunak explained everything in parliament yesterday.  It will be interesting to see opinion polls in the next few weeks. 

I haven’t watched the PM’s questions in Parliament for the last few month but I will start to watch it again.

8 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

I haven’t watched the PM’s questions in Parliament for the last few month but I will start to watch it again.

I stopped watching PM's questions.  Yesterday was good because Sunak had the chance to speak for a longer period of time without interruption enabling a good explanation of what had been agreed with the EU and how the new arrangements will  work.

Edited by Axe

5 minutes ago, Axe said:

I stopped watching PM's questions.  Yesterday was good because Sunak had the chance to speak for a longer period of time without interruption enabling a good explanation of what had been agreed with the EU and how the new arrangements will  work.

I’ll have to see if I can watch a repeat on iplayer.  I totally lost interest in politics after all the shenanigans over the past year.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Axe said:

We need more than explanations.   We need to see whether it works and, it may not.

6 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

We need more than explanations.   We need to see whether it works and, it may not.

Explanations gives everyone an opportunity to understand how the new arrangements will work.  There is no doubt the new agreement will get the overwhelming support of parliament.  It is now up to the DUP to help make all the new arrangements work for the benefit of everyone in Northern Ireland. 

1 hour ago, Axe said:

Something needs to be done to both discourage and stop the illegal crossing of the English Channel by migrants.  The new agreement with the EU will lead to better cooperation between the UK and EU on other matters.  Changes to the protocol happened because the UK government were prepared to walk away from the Northern Ireland protocol.  The UK government have to be prepared to walk away from the European Convention on Human Rights in order to bring about the reforms necessary to end the problems migrants crossing the English Channel are creating for the UK.

Are they going to walk away from every agreement they have ever signed then.

We used to be considered the most trustworthy of all nations and now, we are noted for going back on our word.

I am  surprised that Europe agreed to co-operate but, it's not all over yet.

We are already at the bottom of the pile so if we start walking out on everything, we will  get poorer whilst Europe grows.

Your love for the Tories blinds you to the reality of what they have to done to a leading economy in the last 12 years. 

I agree that Sunak has made progress where Johnson & Truss could not and I give him full credit for that but, there is still a lot to turnaround and no guarantees.

Don't forget, he's going to face the wrath of the public again in April due to the energy bills so don't think he's won the next election.

We will believe the stopping of illegal immigrants when we actually see it happen.

21 minutes ago, Axe said:

Explanations gives everyone an opportunity to understand how the new arrangements will work.  There is no doubt the new agreement will get the overwhelming support of parliament.  It is now up to the DUP to help make all the new arrangements work for the benefit of everyone in Northern Ireland. 

You seem to think that you, and we, now know all the details of Sunaks' deal even before all the legal eagles have fully scrutinised it all.

It is not a little note on the back of a fag packet you know, although I'm sure that what you know about the details will fit on a fag packet.

Getting the overwhelming support of Parliament will still not guarantee that it will work.

Time will show how things will work out in practise.  May be good and, credit to him if it is, but it also may not.

Edited by Organgrinder

Just now, Organgrinder said:

Are they going to walk away from every agreement they have ever signed then.

We used to be considered the most trustworthy of all nations and now, we are noted for going back on our word.

I am  surprised that Europe agreed to co-operate but, it's not all over yet.

We are already at the bottom of the pile so if we start walking out on everything, we will  get poorer whilst Europe grows.

Your love for the Tories blinds you to the reality of what they have to done to a leading economy in the last 12 years. 

I agree that Sunak has made progress where Johnson & Truss could not and I give him full credit for that but, there is still a lot to turnaround and no guarantees.

Don't forget, he's going to face the wrath of the public again in April due to the energy bills so don't think he's won the next election.

We will believe the stopping of illegal immigrants when we actually see it happen.

They have not walked away from any recent agreement they have signed.  The Northern Ireland protocol had provisions under Article13  for either the UK or EU to override that treaty.  Walking away is a good negotiating tool for any agreement or treaty.  Regarding the ECHR  the UK government have every right to be no longer party to that agreement because the World has changed significantly since 1951 and reforms are needed to bring the treaty up to date.