Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

Just now, Organgrinder said:

You seem to think that you, and we, now know all the details of Sunaks' deal even before all the legal eagles have fully scrutinised it all.

It is not a little note on the back of a fag packet you know.

Getting the overwhelming support of Parliament will still not guarantee that it will work.

Time will show how things will work out in practise.  May be good and, credit to him if it is, but it also may not.

You are a negative individual, @Organgrinder😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Axe said:

They have not walked away from any recent agreement they have signed.  The Northern Ireland protocol had provisions under Article13  for either the UK or EU to override that treaty.  Walking away is a good negotiating tool for any agreement or treaty.  Regarding the ECHR  the UK government have every right to be no longer party to that agreement because the World has changed significantly since 1951 and reforms are needed to bring the treaty up to date.

Short answer.   Try telling that to Europe then but don't push your luck.

2 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

You are a negative individual, @Organgrinder😉

I am that.

I have been around long enough and seen enough stupidity to not get carried away with the very first, tiny little bit of success, which has not yet been proven in practise.

I hope it works and, if it does, I will credit Sunak for that but,  (as I have already said)  it's still wait and see time so I would refrain from getting carried away.

3 hours ago, Magilla said:

Your claim that trade between the UK and the EU is on the same footing as it was when we were a member could not be further from the truth.

Free from tariffs... not customs and excise duty, customs, paperwork requirements, associated costs and many other things.

Result... UK goods are now more expensive than their EU equivalents in their biggest market.

Along with the associated and massive paperwork/cost burden, and country of origin rules.

As above, UK based companies are now at a significant disadvantage in their biggest market, compared to those based within the EU.

I don’t know why you bother, M. It’s like peeing in a violin to try and get a tune out.

• Haha 2

Invest in Northern Ireland to get single market access, says Andrea Leadsom:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64802929

She, of course, was unable to explain why it was so good for N.I but not for the rest of the UK...

...but does a sterling job of highlighting how the UK threw away the "prize" that is customs union access. :?

You couldn't make it up! :loopy::hihi:

Edited by Magilla

Guest sibon

I think that it is time to put this thread to bed.

The consequences of Brexit are dire for the UK. Less so for the EU, but still not great.

It was a massive mistake, but we somehow have to climb out of the other side and try to move forward.

None of that makes me resent leave voters any less, just in case you were wondering. This mess is all their doing.

7 hours ago, sibon said:

The consequences of Brexit are dire for the UK. Less so for the EU, but still not great.

It was a massive mistake, but we somehow have to climb out of the other side and try to move forward.

None of that makes me resent leave voters any less, just in case you were wondering. This mess is all their doing.

Indeed, I voted remain because A) Unlike most of the original leave voters, I don't hate immigrants B) I predicted the total fail that is Brexit under the Tories would happen, and it has done.

7 hours ago, sibon said:

Why?  The thread is about the post-Brexit developments.  We had a significant post-Brexit development just this week, I'm sure there will be more in the future.

This thread is current and relevant.

Just because it charts the failings of the Tory party, broken promises of the Brexit campaign and the utter mess they've made of Brexit doesn't mean it needs closing down.

Edited by geared
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, XPertByExperien said:

Indeed, I voted remain because A) Unlike most of the original leave voters, I don't hate immigrants B) I predicted the total fail that is Brexit under the Tories would happen, and it has done.

Did you ask most of them then?