Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

It's good news for once!

The UK has signed a deal to join a trade pact with 11 Asia and Pacific nations, three years after it officially left the European Union.

Joining the group will boost UK exports by cutting tariffs on goods such as cheese, cars, chocolate, machinery, gin and whisky, the government said.

However, the government's own estimates show being in the bloc will only add 0.08% to the size of the UK's economy, in 10 years.

The trade area covers a market of around 500 million people.

Does this mean we'll see more East Asian products in stores?  or will it just make it a little easier to export Scottish Whiskey?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65124741

Edited by geared

23 hours ago, geared said:

It's good news for once!

Does this mean we'll see more East Asian products in stores?  or will it just make it a little easier to export Scottish Whiskey?

It's actually terrible news. It gives overseas companies the right to sue the UK government in secret courts  if it makes decisions that affect their profits, thereby giving away the sovereignty and control that they claimed Brexit was all about. It ties the hands of future governments to make decisions that protect our countryside, or increase the minimum wage. It's basically TTIP, the proposed trade deal the EU were planning to make that led so many people to want out of the EU, but which was eventually scuppered by Belgium, except this time there's no Belgium to save us from it. All in return for pitifully small economic opportunities for UK business. An absolute betrayal.

23 hours ago, geared said:

It's good news for once!

Probably, and with more benefits for them than us.

I thought Tories were the party of business  and used to cutting a deal?

Cutting our own throats more like.

3 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Probably, and with more benefits for them than us.

I thought Tories were the party of business  and used to cutting a deal?

Cutting our own throats more like.

Badenoch is being dishonest when she says it's like "buying a start-up". If you buy a start-up, you get to make the decisions. This is like paying full price but only getting to be a minority share holder, it's an awful deal.

1 minute ago, Delbow said:

Badenoch is being dishonest when she says it's like "buying a start-up". If you buy a start-up, you get to make the decisions. This is like paying full price but only getting to be a minority share holder, it's an awful deal.

Exactly, but I'm afraid this is what I've come to expect now so no surprises

2 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

Would you have seen it differently if it had been done under a Labour government ?

I don't know how that's relevant. It's been done by the current government. That's the only thing we can be sure about.

23 minutes ago, Delbow said:

I don't know how that's relevant. It's been done by the current government. That's the only thing we can be sure about.

I applaud you for not using it as a stick to beat the Conservative party but as an objective view of a deal  done by the government.

Edited by harvey19

28 minutes ago, Delbow said:

It is relevant because

Labour's shadow international trade secretary Nick Thomas-Symonds said the UK joining the CPTPP was "encouraging",