Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

1 hour ago, sadbrewer said:

Pure revisionism, one country started the last three major European Wars.. 1870,1914 and 1939 and that was Germany/Prussia. Germany was laid waste and divided in 1945 and then West Germany was rebuilt from the ground up mainly by the USA. For the next 50 years Germany could not build a weapon unless for NATO use, or sold with NATO permission. The East was solidly under the control of the Soviets.. hundreds of thousands of Allied and Soviet troops were on the ground in Germany as late as the 1990's...that is what guaranteed the peace. 

See my response to Baron99 at #6113. The only revisionism here is being attempted by you.

18 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

Strangely enough,  I myself, had compared the situation on the Titanic with that of our country today.  Our situation is poor and  I have no faith that the ships company who steered us here will save the day.

I respect many of Harvey's contributions to our debates over time and have often enjoyed the debates but,   positive thought is a definite non-starter for actually having any effect at all, on our situation at this time.

Anyone comparing the Brexit situation to the Titanic is a Drama Queen.

12 minutes ago, Axe said:

Anyone comparing the Brexit situation to the Titanic is a Drama Queen.

Strangely enough,  "Drama Queen"  is your favourite description for me and you have used it so often that it's just a bore and shows your lack of  English language skills.

Why don't you do an English course before you reply to me again, and thus show a little originality.

That was another poor contribution from you and,  as usual,  not a word to say about the consequences of Brexit. 

Take to the boats lad

Talks about the allocation of the third central seat of the Unified Patent Court just concluded, it is going to Milan, Italy.

https://www.esteri.it/en/sala_stampa/archivionotizie/comunicati/2023/05/tribunale-unico-dei-brevetti-italia-otterra-sezione-distaccata-per-milano/

For reference, London was originally slated to get one of the two central seats.

https://ipkitten.blogspot.com/2017/06/to-upc-or-not-to-upc-that-is-question.html

Then Brexit happened, the hard one wherein the UK must escape the jurisdiction of the CJEU in any way, shape or form. 

So the UK, one of the main builders and most influential backers of the UPC Agreement back in the day, and first out of the block with kitting out an actual UPC seat with an office and everything…

…got nothing.

As clear a direct and unambiguous a consequence of Brexit, as I’ve seen. And a most spectacular own goal, in this very niche area wherein the UK could have become as global a player in IP disputes, as the City got to be as a financial center.

10 minutes ago, ads36 said:

Fruit exports to the EU have (more than) halved...

so many unicorns.

more for us then, and far less pollution

selective narrative, food exports have gone up

Edited by fools

When the UK was in the EU Jaguar Land Rover chose to build a new factory in Slovakia rather than the UK.   The UK are no longer members of the EU but Jaguar Land Rover have decided to build their new giant battery plant in the UK.  If Brexit is as bad as too many folk who contribute here want us to believe then why are they planning to make the most significant investment in the UK auto industry since the 1980s after the UK left the EU ?

Jaguar Land Rover-owner to pick UK over Spain for giant car battery plant

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65698529

Sounds like it's the near half billion quid in subsidies that won the day, along with the £300m offered to the same company for their steel plant.

The UK needs domestic battery manufacturing, we're way behind the EU.  We can't get that any other way than putting some (lots of) money on the table.

Edited by geared