Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

1 hour ago, ads36 said:

and we have lowered our standards

Indeed we have!

Not the only thing to reduce significantly recently:

Number of Britons working in EU travel sector down more than two-thirds since Brexit:
https://www.ft.com/content/f930a3f4-804a-417c-8e8e-3b99a76e244b
Cost of visas and permits causes sharp reduction in job opportunities, research finds

2 hours ago, Magilla said:

There was not much publicity when it was dropped and if it had been relevant to the discussion at the time I would have mentioned it.  Brexit has brought about opportunities but it needs good government to maximise those opportunities. 

5 hours ago, Axe said:

Absolutely not lower standards.  The UK has always been more civilised than mainland Europe and had higher standards.  France banned slavery 40 years after the UK banned it.  Brexit gives the UK government the opportunity to have higher standards than the EU where appropriate.  The current government should have stuck to their guns and banned live animal exports.  Hopefully a future government will ban live animal exports now the UK has left the EU.

My Bold:  Got it in one   -   the current government never stick to their guns on anything at all.  they just bounce from one crisis to another and do a course  change with each.

How are the 5 pledges going   ????????????????                 Oh, we've got a sixth one now   -   Carbon capture !     Prepare for failure from silly Sunak again.

16 hours ago, Axe said:

We left the EU because that was the democratic wish of the electorate. 

mine is not a popular opinion : we should try more things, we're absolutely terrified of trying things in this country.

sometimes (often?) it's the only way to see what works.

Leaving the EU, working from home, more nuclear power, LTN's, legalise Cannabis, build more houses in villages.

(etc)

some of these things will work, some won't, some will be a mixed bag.

I'm more relaxed than most about giving things a fair crack.

32 minutes ago, ads36 said:

mine is not a popular opinion : we should try more things, we're absolutely terrified of trying things in this country.

sometimes (often?) it's the only way to see what works.

Leaving the EU, working from home, more nuclear power, LTN's, legalise Cannabis, build more houses in villages.

(etc)

some of these things will work, some won't, some will be a mixed bag.

I'm more relaxed than most about giving things a fair crack.

Leaving the EU needs to be given a fair crack which too many  folk who contribute here are not prepared to do.  The pandemic and the Russia invasion of Ukraine have happened since we left the EU which have been bad for both our economy and the global economy.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Axe said:

Leaving the EU needs to be given a fair crack which too many  folk who contribute here are not prepared to do.

the people who told us it would be great: "with no downsides", are in literally in charge of delivering the benefits.

(sorting out the replacement for the farm subsidies, making sure we can trade with the EU with the very minimum of fuss, etc)

i can wish them luck (i do), or not, but it makes no difference to the outcome - it's not my job (or ours) to make it work.

Edited by ads36

4 minutes ago, ads36 said:

the people who told us it would be great: "with no downsides", are in literally in charge of delivering the benefits.

i can wish them luck (i do), or not, but it makes no difference to the outcome - it's not my job (or ours) to make it work.

Well said   -   it's the governments job to make it work.  time they got on with it instead of making excuses.

35 minutes ago, ads36 said:

(sorting out the replacement for the farm subsidies, making sure we can trade with the EU with the very minimum of fuss, etc)

It  should be the job of all of us to make Brexit work.

5 minutes ago, Axe said:

It  should be the job of all of us to make Brexit work.

I disagree. If you think something is fundamentally wrong you should try and get it changed - just like all those people who thought being in the EU was fundamentally wrong and tried to get us to leave.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, altus said:

I disagree. If you think something is fundamentally wrong you should try and get it changed - just like all those people who thought being in the EU was fundamentally wrong and tried to get us to leave.

And succeeded!