Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

8 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

What’s been quietly dropped?

taking control of our borders.

uk-postpones-implementation-of-new-food-import-controls-by-three-months

don't be fooled by the '3 months' part of that, it's been a rolled over by 3 months quite a few times now...

(because these controls would add significantly to the cost and supply of food)

we're told that people voted to leave in order to 'take back control' - which i can understand.

but the very same people will bend over backwards, to explain why *not* taking control is right and sensible.

Edited by ads36

41 minutes ago, ads36 said:

taking control of our borders.

uk-postpones-implementation-of-new-food-import-controls-by-three-months

don't be fooled by the '3 months' part of that, it's been a rolled over by 3 months quite a few times now...

(because these controls would add significantly to the cost and supply of food)

we're told that people voted to leave in order to 'take back control' - which i can understand.

but the very same people will bend over backwards, to explain why *not* taking control is right and sensible.

I think 'Taking back control '  refers to changing things which were disadvantageous to our country.

The government have taken control of our borders with Europe but have completely failed to stop other forms of illegal immigration.

After such a long time, years in fact, our government have failed to stop the small boats arriving. I wonder if they have the will to do so and if not why.

There are media reports into the numbers arriving  but no in depth investigation into why the government have not stopped it happening. The political party in opposition do not have robust questioning on the subject or any ideas on how to change things.

WHY ?

Edited by harvey19

2 hours ago, harvey19 said:

I think 'Taking back control '  refers to changing things which were disadvantageous to our country.

The government have taken control of our borders with Europe but have completely failed to stop other forms of illegal immigration.

Have they?

I was in Ireland for a week last month and flew back to Birmingham from Shannon on the 25th. At Shannon airport we had to provide passports to customs before being allowed into departure. The plane was full which means that there were over 180 passengers on board and a number of them didn't appear to be either British or Irish.

At Birmingham there was no check whatsoever, we simply collected our luggage and exited the building.

There is a common travel area between Britain and Ireland and citizens of either country can move between the two without routine passport controls.

However,  EU members or Americans or any other nationality for that matter that have been allowed into the Republic can if they wish enter Britain without a check. The same applies if they travel from the Republic to Northern Ireland and then cross to Britain.

Hardly taking back control is it?

3 hours ago, harvey19 said:

After such a long time, years in fact, our government have failed to stop the small boats arriving. I wonder if they have the will to do so and if not why.

There are media reports into the numbers arriving  but no in depth investigation into why the government have not stopped it happening. The political party in opposition do not have robust questioning on the subject or any ideas on how to change things.

WHY ?

Correct.  There is no need to change things just for the sake of changing things.  Brexit gives our own government the freedom to decide whether to make changes if they are in the best interest of our country and people.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, m williamson said:

Have they?

I was in Ireland for a week last month and flew back to Birmingham from Shannon on the 25th. At Shannon airport we had to provide passports to customs before being allowed into departure. The plane was full which means that there were over 180 passengers on board and a number of them didn't appear to be either British or Irish.

At Birmingham there was no check whatsoever, we simply collected our luggage and exited the building.

There is a common travel area between Britain and Ireland and citizens of either country can move between the two without routine passport controls.

However,  EU members or Americans or any other nationality for that matter that have been allowed into the Republic can if they wish enter Britain without a check. The same applies if they travel from the Republic to Northern Ireland and then cross to Britain.

Hardly taking back control is it?

You quote just a single situation.

Presumably the checks will have been made when the travellers entered Southern Ireland.

47 minutes ago, Axe said:

Correct.  There is no need to change things just for the sake of changing things.  Brexit gives our own government the freedom to decide whether to make changes if they are in the best interest of our country and people.

I sometimes feel some people will only be happy if our country collapses and then they can say, Told you Brexit wasn't a good idea.

9 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

You quote just a single situation.

Presumably the checks will have been made when the travellers entered Southern Ireland.

My wife and I attended a family wedding in Ireland in July and exactly the same thing happened, passport checks at Shannon no checks when we landed in Britain. At Manchester on that occasion. So that's two situations within a month of each other at two different British airports.

What do you mean you presume the checks will have been made when travellers entered Ireland? The Republic of Ireland is a sovereign state and a member of the EU. It has no responsibility for people entering the UK. Taking back Control means being personally responsible for your affairs, not relying on another country to sort things out for you.

Incidentally, there's no such country as Southern Ireland, County Donegal is the northernmost part of the island of Ireland and it's in the Republic.

Our borders are not safe with a Tory Government. They don’t know how to deal with the boats crossing the channel or they don’t want to stop them for some reason.

I don’t have much faith in Labour to stop the small boats, Starmer was against tough new asylum laws, when he was asked how he would deal with the small boats crossing the channel he said we need to talk to the French Government. I thought we had already done that.

When we go into the next general election I think the conservatives will say they will bring us out of the human rights as part of their manifesto if we are re-elected.

I certainly won’t be voting for them if they don’t stop the invasion of our country.

It makes me wonder how many more thousands of immigrants will be allowed into the country before the government realises we have a problem?

22 minutes ago, m williamson said:

My wife and I attended a family wedding in Ireland in July and exactly the same thing happened, passport checks at Shannon no checks when we landed in Britain. At Manchester on that occasion. So that's two situations within a month of each other at two different British airports.

What do you mean you presume the checks will have been made when travellers entered Ireland? The Republic of Ireland is a sovereign state and a member of the EU. It has no responsibility for people entering the UK. Taking back Control means being personally responsible for your affairs, not relying on another country to sort things out for you.

Incidentally, there's no such country as Southern Ireland, County Donegal is the northernmost part of the island of Ireland and it's in the Republic.

Are you advocating passport checks between Britain and Southern Ireland and the land border being passport controlled ?

1 hour ago, harvey19 said:

Are you advocating passport checks between Britain and Southern Ireland and the land border being passport controlled ?

No, I'm not.

Bringing back a hard border on the island of Ireland would bring back violence. Something that those who understood about the history between the two country's realised and took into consideration when voting in the referendum.

What I'm pointing out is that another of the Brexiteers pie in the sky promises and assurances isn't happening, they were playing to the gullible and the gullible went for it without any thought as to the implications.

A border in the Irish sea and allowing NI to have access to the EU market providing it conforms to EU customs rules was always the only option. 

This country voted to become a Third Country and as EU members we knew exactly what that meant. Whining and complaining about having to conform to Third Country rules is pathetic.

We have not ' Taken Back Control ' we are having to conform to trade agreement terms and conditions negotiated from a weaker position than before and also agree to the rules of the CPTPP who's regulations were agreed without our involvement.

We have signed a trade deal with Australia and this is what the Ozzies think about it.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/watch-australians-mock-uk-trade-deal/

We're a laughing stock because of Brexit and now have less Control than we had before. 

18 minutes ago, m williamson said:

No, I'm not.

Bringing back a hard border on the island of Ireland would bring back violence. Something that those who understood about the history between the two country's realised and took into consideration when voting in the referendum.

What I'm pointing out is that another of the Brexiteers pie in the sky promises and assurances isn't happening, they were playing to the gullible and the gullible went for it without any thought as to the implications.

A border in the Irish sea and allowing NI to have access to the EU market providing it conforms to EU customs rules was always the only option. 

This country voted to become a Third Country and as EU members we knew exactly what that meant. Whining and complaining about having to conform to Third Country rules is pathetic.

We have not ' Taken Back Control ' we are having to conform to trade agreement terms and conditions negotiated from a weaker position than before and also agree to the rules of the CPTPP who's regulations were agreed without our involvement.

We have signed a trade deal with Australia and this is what the Ozzies think about it.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/watch-australians-mock-uk-trade-deal/

We're a laughing stock because of Brexit and now have less Control than we had before. 

I am a bit confused you emphasised People from Europe and America entering Britain via Southern Ireland without passport checks.

Then you complain Brexit did not enforce border control.

Do you want border controls implemented ?