Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

3 minutes ago, m williamson said:

The Irish are world class **** takers, they enjoy a laugh and like it to be two way.  If they're not that keen on someone they tend to be polite to them and not kid ( cod ) around with them.

Obviously she quite liked you. I got to know an actual member of the Orange Order here in Sheffield years ago, he was a mate of mines father.

Despite being an Orange man he was a nice guy and a gentleman.

The OO are a sectarian organisation which is pretty disgusting, but you have to take people as individuals and he and I got on fine.

I worked with a gang of Paddy's on the Castle Market job . The ganger was Jim Quirk , 

They invited me to a Friday night booze up in the Cross Guns pub ,

I went home got changed and made my way there , 

As soon as I walked in the tap room a huge cheer went up and the all burst into song , "Baby face you've got the cutest little baby face ".  I ended up pithed as a newt , I was 17 years old at the time . 

Ted Lawler and Tony Kelly as well as  the Burks were part of that gang . Never forgot that night 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, m williamson said:

There is a substantial majority in Ireland that wish to see their country reunited, but they would like to see that take place peacefully,

No doubt there are, and plenty in NI want re-unification too.  I wonder how they'll both feel when it comes to the nitty gritty of reunification.

ROI residents realising that means people from NI get a say in their business

NI demanding an equal say in the re-unified Government (they definitely will demand)

Extreme religious views from NI being voiced in Parliament

ROI trying to get the two very broken factions of NI working finally

Northern Ireland comes with an extremely large amount of baggage, I wonder if people are ready to deal with it all if unification occurs?

Edited by geared

1 hour ago, geared said:

No doubt there are, and plenty in NI want re-unification too.  I wonder how they'll both feel when it comes to the nitty gritty of reunification.

NI demanding an equal say in the re-unified Government (they definitely will demand)

Northern Ireland comes with an extremely large amount of baggage, I wonder if people are ready to deal with it all if unification occurs?

I think you're correct and have wondered myself whether that could ever be made to work.

Probably the main reason why it hasn't happened yet and won't in the near future either.

For similar reasons,  it's a forlorn hope for Putin that Ukraine will rejoin Russia.    Once the damage is done etc.

I would have liked to see it peaceful in both countries though.

If unification happened would the Uk cut all financial support ?

Do those who want the UK to leave want this ?

Would the Uk withdraw the Royal Navy's and Royal Air Forc'es  protection of the sea and air  in the appropriate areas ?

Just a couple of questions.

Going back to Brexit.

If in Scotland the SNP want to leave the UK why not stop all financial aid to the country for a trial period and see how the country makes changes to manage its own economy.

See how they fare if they were to rejoin the EU as they say they did not want to leave.

Edited by harvey19

2 hours ago, geared said:

Ireland is a democratic country, it has a PR+STV voting system which reflects the wishes of the electorate accurately, unlike our unfit for purpose FPTP nonsense.

Residents of Northern Ireland know exactly how PR+STV works because it has been in use for NI elections since 1973. They only revert to FPTP for Westminster government elections.

The former unionist population of a reunited Ireland will be approximately 15% and they will have a say in the running of the country proportionate with that number. That is far more say than they currently have at Westminster, demanding more say than your population numbers justify is both undemocratic and unacceptable . They will have a significant input and have nothing to fear.

They will also find that there are a number of citizens of the Republic that are in fact similar in outlook politically to them ( without the sectarianism and wish to be part of the UK ) it will not be a ' cold house ' for them as NI was for Catholic nationalists in the past, life moves on.

The broken factions have come into existence under British rule. The powers that be in Westminster care little for the problems of those of us outside London and the Home County's and they care nothing whatsoever about Northern Ireland.

A reunited Ireland will prosper after initial teething problems.

https://www.politico.eu/article/united-ireland-look-more-likely-brexit-study-uk-belfast/

https://www.qub.ac.uk/News/Allnews/2022/AgrowingmajorityinNorthernIrelandthinkBrexithasincreasedthelikelihoodofaunitedIreland.html

55 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

If unification happened would the Uk cut all financial support ?

Would the Uk withdraw the Royal Navy's and Royal Air Forc'es  protection of the sea and air  in the appropriate areas ?

Just a couple of questions.

As things stand Britain is providing £15 billion each year to Northern Ireland as subsidy. Britain has two choices, continue on ad infinitum with increases as time goes by, or alternatively agree to taper off the subsidy over an agreed number of years, then end it, what would you do?

Ireland is a small wealthy country with a high standard of living and currently it has a sovereign wealth fund of 16 billion Euro.  Not bad for a country with less than a 5.5 million population.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ireland-could-amass-156-bln-wealth-fund-with-windfall-corporate-tax-2023-05-10/  

As for UK ' protection ' that is a myth. Ireland is a neutral sovereign nation. Ireland has no enemies, its defence force provides peacekeeping duties for the UN and its naval defence force and life saving service ( which is still called the RNLI ) cooperates with the RN and British RNLI to mutual benefit.

Ireland allows the RAF to overfly its territory and the RN to sail in Irish waters with its permission. The reason that Britain wants to do that is to extend protection of British territory further out west than technically it is permitted to do.

Britain and Ireland are allies with over 800 years of entwined history between them and despite occasional disagreements they will always be friends,

Which is why I have little patience with hardcore unionists who claim it will be totally alien and foreign to them in a reunited Ireland. 

6 minutes ago, m williamson said:

As things stand Britain is providing £15 billion each year to Northern Ireland as subsidy. Britain has two choices, continue on ad infinitum with increases as time goes by, or alternatively agree to taper off the subsidy over an agreed number of years, then end it, what would you do?

Ireland is a small wealthy country with a high standard of living and currently it has a sovereign wealth fund of 16 billion Euro.  Not bad for a country with less than a 5.5 million population

Why would we pay anything to them post-unification?  Once unified, they can sort themselves out?  or ask the EU.

6 minutes ago, geared said:

Why would we pay anything to them post-unification?  Once unified, they can sort themselves out?  or ask the EU.

You do realise that the whole Northern Ireland situation was caused by the British government refusing to accept the result of a democratic Irish General Election held under British governance don't you?

That being the case some support in order to rectify a problem caused by Westminster is perfectly reasonable.

Also as I said, there's two choices, carry on forever paying out billions every year or taper off the subsidy and finally end it. What's the financially sensible thing to do? 

The Americans as brokers in the GFA will have a say in what happens,  as the UK does as its told when the Americans instruct we'll take the sensible course of action for a change.