Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

11 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Cuttsie   You asked for my opinion and I told you what it is.

The fact that we take over a country doesn't mean it's ours  -  or it doesn't in my book.

You are entitled to think differently if you wish.

The fact that British settlers would like it to remain British is not at all surprising.

The history of human settlement on the Falklands is too complex for me to waste my time on.  You look into it if you wish.

In the meantime my personal opinion remains what I told you.

Thank you I think the Falklands are many sea miles away from Argentina ,and before a couple of Scotsmen and half a dozen sheep settled there it was inhabited by no one . It now a strategic out post in the South Atlantic due to its possible mineral and other wealth not yet explored . Argentina has noticed that but only in the last 50 years or so , they will try again one day .

2 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

Just to clarify who did we take these countries over from and had they taken them over from someone else earlier ?

It makes no difference who we took them from.  They just were NOT OURS.

Do you think it's fine to steal from other people because you are bigger and more powerful than them ?

9 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

The fact is,  that if we had stayed away from Ireland,    there would have been no need at all for any treaties.

It's because we went over there and started throwing our weight about that led to the results we see today.

No one ignores the wishes of the protestants  - they have been well looked after by British governments.

They have also been the cause of many problems for British governments.

Ireland will eventually be re-united and it will be right that those who now live under British jurisdiction will be accorded a say comparable with the percentage of their numbers.

All this makes me wonder if you think that every country we ever ruled should be back under our ownership and strangely,  you didn't seem very bothered about the people of Hong Kong.

The people of Hong Kong what has that got to do with Brexit ? LOL

1 minute ago, Organgrinder said:

It makes no difference who we took them from.  They just were NOT OURS.

Do you think it's fine to steal from other people because you are bigger and more powerful than them ?

Do you think we improved other countries ?

Were we welcomed into these other countries at first ?

Did we steal other countries or was our presence welcomed because of the aid we gave them ?

Nothing is straightforward and over time things change.

2 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

That's fine,  so why not let others have the same right of choice that you have ?  If they wish to celebrate their Irish roots,  what's wrong with that.

Do what they want as long as they do not pull  down the Country they were born and bred in all the time , If so then just go and live in wherever the heart lays , 

Not only the Irish do it many who have settled  here do the same . Not mention any though as it seems to hit a tender spot in some .

3 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Thank you I think the Falklands are many sea miles away from Argentina ,and before a couple of Scotsmen and half a dozen sheep settled there it was inhabited by no one . It now a strategic out post in the South Atlantic due to its possible mineral and other wealth not yet explored . Argentina has noticed that but only in the last 50 years or so , they will try again one day .

The Falklands remained uninhabited until the 1764 establishment of Port Louis on East Falkland by French captain Louis Antoine de Bougainville and the 1766 foundation of Port Egmont on Saunders Island by British captain John MacBride.[C] Whether or not the settlements were aware of each other's existence is debated by historians.[26] In 1766, France surrendered its claim on the Falklands to Spain, which renamed the French colony Puerto Soledad the following year.[27] Problems began when Spain detected and captured Port Egmont in 1770. War was narrowly avoided by its restitution to Britain in 1771.[

4 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

The Falklands remained uninhabited until the 1764 establishment of Port Louis on East Falkland by French captain Louis Antoine de Bougainville and the 1766 foundation of Port Egmont on Saunders Island by British captain John MacBride.[C] Whether or not the settlements were aware of each other's existence is debated by historians.[26] In 1766, France surrendered its claim on the Falklands to Spain, which renamed the French colony Puerto Soledad the following year.[27] Problems began when Spain detected and captured Port Egmont in 1770. War was narrowly avoided by its restitution to Britain in 1771.[

So who stole it from who ?

9 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

And not a Argentinian in sight it seems as though its a thousand miles away from the. Argentine  .

Lets hope the Isle of Wight don't start a rumble  against us , it seems as though every one else gives us a kicking .

Edited by cuttsie

1 hour ago, harvey19 said:

The people of Hong Kong what has that got to do with Brexit ? LOL

I didn't say it was to do with Brexit  - neither is most of your pontificating.

The people of Hong Kong grew up in a colony that we took and decided was ours.  They lived under British  rule and wanted to stay that way.

Ask yourself why we didn't stick it out with the Chinese and why we didn't maintain the British rule that they wanted ??????          Yeah  -  because China's bigger than us.

1 hour ago, harvey19 said:

So who stole it from who ?

Who stole what  ?     there are places all over the world we stole from the people who lived there.

Edited by Organgrinder

5 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Do what they want as long as they do not pull  down the Country they were born and bred in all the time , If so then just go and live in wherever the heart lays , 

Not only the Irish do it many who have settled  here do the same . Not mention any though as it seems to hit a tender spot in some .

It saddens me that people want to find fault with our country and its past. Their are faults in every walk of life but to go dredging things up from centuries ago seems pointless to me.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

And not a Argentinian in sight

The French were the first.

The Argies are the closest and at least,   they don't say the Isle of White is theirs