Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

15 hours ago, Axe said:

I know nothing.  Is it against the Sheffield Forum Discussion rules to be bigoted and homophobic?

Well,  at least you got that bit right.  

Makes a change doesn't it ?

CNN Business
The UK government has delayed health and safety checks on food imports from the European Union for the fifth time in three years amid fears that the extra controls will push up food prices and disrupt vital supplies.

The latest foot-dragging demonstrates that Britain is still struggling to come to terms with the painful consequences of leaving the European Union in January 2020, which has piled costs on UK businesses and weighed on trade, investment and, ultimately, economic growth.

Brexit has already contributed to Britain’s particularly high inflation by introducing friction into the country’s most important trading relationship, and hitting the value of the pound, which has made imports more expensive. A recent study by the London School of Economics found that Brexit was responsible for about a third of UK food price inflation since 2019, adding nearly £7 billion ($8.8 billion) to Britain’s grocery bill.

The UK government is anxious to avoid doing anything that makes matters worse. Tuesday’s announcement also highlights long-running concerns that border checks on food imports from the EU — which supplies 28% of the food consumed in Britain — could choke off supplies.

Edited by Organgrinder

3 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

Well,  at least you got that bit right.  

Makes a change doesn't it ?

CNN Business
The UK government has delayed health and safety checks on food imports from the European Union for the fifth time in three years amid fears that the extra controls will push up food prices and disrupt vital supplies.

The latest foot-dragging demonstrates that Britain is still struggling to come to terms with the painful consequences of leaving the European Union in January 2020, which has piled costs on UK businesses and weighed on trade, investment and, ultimately, economic growth.

Brexit has already contributed to Britain’s particularly high inflation by introducing friction into the country’s most important trading relationship, and hitting the value of the pound, which has made imports more expensive. A recent study by the London School of Economics found that Brexit was responsible for about a third of UK food price inflation since 2019, adding nearly £7 billion ($8.8 billion) to Britain’s grocery bill.

The UK government is anxious to avoid doing anything that makes matters worse. Tuesday’s announcement also highlights long-running concerns that border checks on food imports from the EU — which supplies 28% of the food consumed in Britain — could choke off supplies.

You can reduce the financial impact by waiting for your local supermarket to reduce fresh food at the end of the day.  

7 minutes ago, Axe said:

You can reduce the financial impact by waiting for your local supermarket to reduce fresh food at the end of the day.  

I don't need to as I am not hard up at all,   but I do have concerns for the many who are.

Whatever happens will not impact me but I am not selfish enough to give no thought to people who are struggling and,   the need to call out a government who slides from one crisis to the next.

I suppose we could help by broadcasting that we have  a conservative government,  so bear in mind that you can save on your shopping,  if you wait until the end of the day.

Edited by Organgrinder

14 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

I don't need to as I am not hard up at all,   but I do have concerns for the many who are.

Whatever happens will not impact me but I am not selfish enough to give no thought to people who are struggling and,   the need to call out a government who slides from one crisis to the next.

I suppose we could help by broadcasting that we have  a conservative government,  so bear in mind that you can save on your shopping,  if you wait until the end of the day.

There are also food banks to help struggling folk.

11 minutes ago, Axe said:

There are also food banks to help struggling folk.

So there are,  very fortunately.    Surprising how the number of those has multiplied over the last 13 years of tory government.

2 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

So there are,  very fortunately.    Surprising how the number of those has multiplied over the last 13 years of tory government.

Well the population has increased about 5 million in the last 13 years ,so maybe that could be why more folk require food banks?

14 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Well the population has increased about 5 million in the last 13 years ,so maybe that could be why more folk require food banks?

Quite right and that's also due to this government.  The buck still stops there.