Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

Oh look!  The German's aren't really happy that their exports to the UK are down since Brexit & THEY, (not clear if it's Germany speaking unilaterally, although EU regulations forbid such unilateralism but as Germany drives the EU, what Germany wants, the EU gets), now are offering an invite to sort out business red tape that's affecting business & hinting that the UK could have some form of 'special relationship' with the EU in the future. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67105143

Well what a surprise.  They appear to need us, more than we need them but a new deal all round would suit all parties. 

Somewhere on a page in this or the previous Brexit threads, in the early months of Brexit, when the doom merchants, were moaning about red tape; the EU possibly imposing sanctions & tariffs on the UK to punish us for leaving the EU & it hitting our businesses & exports, I said give it time because it will ultimately be big business that will dictate how business between the EU & UK is done not politicians. 

With German & other EU countries exports to the UK down, it looks like big business is speaking. 

I love it when I'm right.  

6 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Oh look!  The German's aren't really happy that their exports to the UK are down since Brexit & THEY, (not clear if it's Germany speaking unilaterally, although EU regulations forbid such unilateralism but as Germany drives the EU, what Germany wants, the EU gets), now are offering an invite to sort out business red tape that's affecting business & hinting that the UK could have some form of 'special relationship' with the EU in the future. 

Well what a surprise.  They appear to need us, more than we need them but a new deal all round would suit all parties. 

Somewhere on a page in this or the previous Brexit threads, in the early months of Brexit, when the doom merchants, were moaning about red tape; the EU possibly imposing sanctions & tariffs on the UK to punish us for leaving the EU & it hitting our businesses & exports, I said give it time because it will ultimately be big business that will dictate how business between the EU & UK is done not politicians. 

With German & other EU countries exports to the UK down, it looks like big business is speaking. 

That's encouraging news which could help to pull this country out of the doldrums

The only problem is that it's highly unlikely to happen under a Tory government due to the ECG  influence

Starmer has at least said,  that he intends to come to an arrangement with Europe if he takes over, so the quicker the better.

We used to successfully trade with Europe for years under common market rules before we joined Europe proper and a relationship such as that would make perfect sense.

In July 2023, United Kingdom exported £2.54B and imported £6.48B from Germany, resulting in a negative trade balance of £3.94B.

Between July 2022 and July 2023 the exports of United Kingdom have decreased by £-156M (-5.78%) from £2.69B to £2.54B, while imports increased by £794M (14%) from £5.68B to £6.48B.

20 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

It was always going to take time for a successful transition to take place.

I have said on many occasions that instead of going on about what a failure Brexit was we needed to find new ways of trading and this is now taking place.

Not taking place yet at all.      Despite the fact that it's badly needed in the same way as agreements over immigration.

Our government are still dragging their feet with Europe because many influential Tories are against it.

It will take place when we install a Labour government who are not too busy peering up their own back end.

In or out of Europe,  we need genuine co-operation and friendship.

17 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Not taking place yet at all.      Despite the fact that it's badly needed in the same way as agreements over immigration.

Our government are still dragging their feet with Europe because many influential Tories are against it.

It will take place when we install a Labour government who are not too busy peering up their own back end.

Because of the tone of your  recent posts on the forum compared to earlier ones I wonder if you were trolling earlier.  Were you ?

Edited by harvey19

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

Of course, he smells blood in the water, the failure of brexit now being recognised thoughout the UK, and a willingness to start talking watering it down.. both publicly and politically. :?

In translation: Everyone involved now acknowledges Brexit is a disaster, for all the reasons highlighted before the referendum.

He's not saying anything now that Germany hasn't been saying since before the referendum. :?

...about the UK rejoining the single market, and watering down/reversing Brexit :?

Let's file this claim with your explanation of what a "third country" is... could not be further from reality! 🤣

41 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Indeed, the type of cooperation and the things he's moaning about in the article, is made clear... can only be fixed by rejoining the single market, specifically the four freedoms.

Edited by Magilla

20 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

Because of the tone of your  recent posts on the forum compared to earlier ones I wonder if you were trolling earlier.  Were you ?

I don't play silly buggers.  I've better things to do with my time.   I just talk straight,  exactly as I think,   and what others think is up to them.

If you want to call me a troll   ( internet terminology is another load of BS to me )  feel free,  it just doesn't matter to me.

My  "tone"  is also up to me and I don't explain that either.

• 2 weeks later...

Remember when David Davis famously said " There will be no downsides to Brexit only upsides "?

Well, unfortunately for the genius and political prophet that is Davis someone has been keeping score. Dave may have been a tad over optimistic with his prediction.

https://yorkshirebylines.co.uk/regular-features/the-davis-downside-dossier/

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/lifestyle/brexit-downside-dossier-hits-major-milestone-347099/

Yorkshire Bylines welcomes input from both points of view, so it would help to ease David Davis's ongoing embarrassment if Brexiteers could email in accounts of the many upsides which they are aware of. 

What Went Wrong With Brexit, And What We Can Do About It:

https://canongate.co.uk/books/5012-what-went-wrong-with-brexit-and-what-we-can-do-about-it/

"The economic realities that are making the UK less competitive, less productive and less well-off are ever more obvious – and more and more people are finding out the Brexit they were sold was based on falsehoods and fantasy."