Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

There's quite a lot of interesting pieces which I've been reading in the last hour or so which suggests that Brexit was always going to push up immigration, rather than reduce it - which is ironic since a lot of people voted for Brexit to reduce immigration.

Very illuminating, and I have to say I hadn't even considered this.

Brexit brings with it a new kind of uncertainty

https://www.ft.com/content/f097516f-3fab-40be-a883-4654332e2e59

Brexit is unusual in that it generated persistent uncertainty.

We do know from a large body of analytical evidence that a key driver of business investment decisions is certainty . . . you want certainty around where fiscal policy is going, and certainty about what kind of relationships your economy is going to have.

Even if the UK gets a stable government (one that doesn’t flip-flop on net zero or repeatedly threaten to legislate in defiance of its international treaty obligations) Brexit creates a permanent state of low-grade uncertainty. This is because every time its largest trade partner advances new rules and regulations, the UK (and its investors who have links with integrated supply chains and data sharing) are going to have to ask themselves how the UK will, or won’t, respond to those rules.

Commit to alignment of EU rules that we have no say in... or continue haemorrhaging trade and investment... a difficult choice  🙄

8 minutes ago, Magilla said:

Brexit brings with it a new kind of uncertainty

https://www.ft.com/content/f097516f-3fab-40be-a883-4654332e2e59

Brexit is unusual in that it generated persistent uncertainty.

We do know from a large body of analytical evidence that a key driver of business investment decisions is certainty . . . you want certainty around where fiscal policy is going, and certainty about what kind of relationships your economy is going to have.

Even if the UK gets a stable government (one that doesn’t flip-flop on net zero or repeatedly threaten to legislate in defiance of its international treaty obligations) Brexit creates a permanent state of low-grade uncertainty. This is because every time its largest trade partner advances new rules and regulations, the UK (and its investors who have links with integrated supply chains and data sharing) are going to have to ask themselves how the UK will, or won’t, respond to those rules.

Commit to alignment of EU rules that we have no say in... or continue haemorrhaging trade and investment... a difficult choice  🙄

My bold. 

But we HAVE a choice unlike 27 countries. 

Edited by Baron99

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

Would you care to explain what our choices are APART FROM,    as Magilla said,   align with EU rules,  that we have no say in,    or continue haemorrhaging trade and investment ?

It was a case of leaving Europe with a range of choices we didn't want,  simply because we were lied to.

Edited by Organgrinder

2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

Yes we do.

We can choose to be pragmatic and do the sensible thing in order to help our businesses and the economy, or we can choose to act like a mardy kid, damage our economy to the advantage of our international competitors and give everyone that dislikes us a good laugh at our expense.

Tough one  🤔

• Like 1

The Office for Budget Responsibility has published a report accompanying last weeks Autumn Budget which states that the much proclaimed membership of the CPTPP would add just 0.04% to GDP ' in the long run ' which they define as after fifteen years of membership, 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/nov/25/uks-flagship-post-brexit-trade-deal-worth-even-less-than-previously-thought-obr-says#:~:text=In a report accompanying last,after 15 years of membership.

It's obvious what the problem is with us Remainers, we're too impatient, looking for benefits in the here and now instead of thinking long term.

Rees-Mogg said it may take fifty years, and if so just like Jacob we'll have to rely on our Trust Fund to help out in the meantime.

• Like 1

On 25/11/2023 at 10:32, Organgrinder said:

Would you care to explain what our choices are APART FROM,    as Magilla said,   align with EU rules,  that we have no say in,    or continue haemorrhaging trade and investment ?

It was a case of leaving Europe with a range of choices we didn't want,  simply because we were lied to.

Would I care to explain to you?   No, Mr Dimwit, (your words to describe yourself on the climate change thread), not mine. 

That's one of the many problems with social media, you have to TELL people your ignoring them 🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by Baron99

9 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Would I care to explain to you?   No, Mr Dimwit, (your words to describe yourself on the climate change thread), not mine. 

That's one of the many problems with social media, you have to TELL people your ignoring them 🤷‍♂️ 

Brilliant.  Can't even form an argument against a dimwit.  that doesn't speak very highly of you.

You wouldn't acre to explain because you simply don't have an explanation.

As I'm not ignoring you,  and you are not ignoring me,  it sounds as though your last line is on it's last brain cell.

And you've answered my post to say simply nothing,     except dimwit of course,   and I don't mind that anyway as I can quite easily take you apart.