Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

21 minutes ago, m williamson said:

How many models of cars originated in Slovakia or Mexico? Apart from Nissan and Toyota those cars listed above were originally internationally renown British design and manufacture weren't they? We had no need to attract manufacturers we did it ourselves.

The establishment and politicians in this country would sell their souls to the devil, if they had souls, which I doubt. The only industry they care about is the financial industry controlled by the City of London Corporation which is an autonomous jurisdiction not subject to parliament and able to pick and choose which laws it wishes to observe. As they all benefit from it personally that's their main concern.

This country was famous for its innovation and manufacturing prowess which was something to be proud of, now we're famous for money laundering and tax avoidance.

A combination of poor management,  lazy workforce  and the trade unions are to blame for the decline of the tradition British owned car industry.

Archive : 37 years ago – BL workers sleeping on the job

https://www.aronline.co.uk/archive/sleeping-on-the-job-essay/

3 minutes ago, Axe said:

A combination of poor management,  lazy workforce  and the trade unions are to blame for the decline of the tradition British owned car industry.

https://www.aronline.co.uk/archive/sleeping-on-the-job-essay/

For once we find ourselves in agreement. As someone who started off ' on the tools '  then progressed through sales and then management I have to say that poor management is a major issue.

I worked in the private sector and  that management had the ultimate penalty of dismissal to back it up. Sacking should always be a last resort and means that your management itself has failed by recruiting the wrong person and then failing to manage them well enough.

However, from everything that I've heard and witnessed in the public and nationalised sector management is hamstrung because dismissal is so difficult because of the obstacles placed in the way.

Employee and employer should have a fairly straightforward arrangement. The deal is simple, the employee carries out the work required to the standard required within the hours specified, the employer/manager does everything they can to provide support to the employee and listens and acts on any genuine problem. Result, things get done and everyone is satisfied with the situation.

In the public sector the job tends to be done by a section of the workers who behave in a decent manner. Meanwhile a significant number of ' workers ' turn up and waste time with little input. The genuine workers are pee'd off and public money is wasted to a major degree.

2 minutes ago, Anna B said:

We used to have our own thriving car manufacturing businesses, with our own well known brands recognised and appreciated around the world.

What happened?

Same with motor bikes, in the 50s/60, every motor bike was British made.

2 minutes ago, Padders said:

Same with motor bikes, in the 50s/60, every motor bike was British made.

Weren't we once called 'The workshop of the World?'

We once not only made loads of stuff, but we were red hot at inventing things as well.

We still invent stuff, but don't invest in developing it, so it goes to other countries.

I remember in my lifetime when Britain led the space race with it's ground breaking discoveries and inventions - again, what happened... 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Anna B said:

We used to have our own thriving car manufacturing businesses, with our own well known brands recognised and appreciated around the world.

What happened?

British Leyland was created in 1968 which saw and end to the separate well known independent brands.

43 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Weren't we once called 'The workshop of the World?'

We once not only made loads of stuff, but we were red hot at inventing things as well.

We still invent stuff, but don't invest in developing it, so it goes to other countries.

I remember in my lifetime when Britain led the space race with it's ground breaking discoveries and inventions - again, what happened... 

Actually there is now industry movement toward 'reshoring' the moving of manufacturing jobs back into the country.

It gives much better control over manufacturing, supply chains and crucially control over precious intellectual property.

It will be for more advanced equipment, not basic stuff.  

1 hour ago, geared said:

Actually there is now industry movement toward 'reshoring' the moving of manufacturing jobs back into the country.

It gives much better control over manufacturing, supply chains and crucially control over precious intellectual property.

It will be for more advanced equipment, not basic stuff.  

Good.

2 hours ago, Axe said:

British Leyland was created in 1968 which saw and end to the separate well known independent brands.

Whose idea was that?

And what happened to British Leyland?