Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Hang on a minute!  This sort of thing wasn't supposed to happen! 

Look who's trying to smarmy their way up to little old UK. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68848046

It's as though they've lost out on something although they seem to want a lot of conditions?  My first reaction would be "Well, you're coming to us, so we're in the boss seat.  What's in it for us first & foremost?   We'll go away & have a good long think & eventually get back to you, EU.   You're not really a priority for us at the moment."

🤣🤣🤣

Nope......................................................

I'm seeing reports that the goods checks due to be brought in shortly have been cancelled again, due to as the government itself has apparently put it "due to the risk of significant disruption"

16 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Hang on a minute!  This sort of thing wasn't supposed to happen! 

Look who's trying to smarmy their way up to little old UK. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68848046

It's as though they've lost out on something although they seem to want a lot of conditions?  My first reaction would be "Well, you're coming to us, so we're in the boss seat.  What's in it for us first & foremost?   We'll go away & have a good long think & eventually get back to you, EU.   You're not really a priority for us at the moment."

You obviously didn't read it very carefully:

In a policy document, the European Commission said it was stepping in after the UK approached several unnamed EU countries last year to discuss individual deals.

It said this risked "differential treatment" of EU citizens, and instead there should be a bloc-wide deal to ensure they are "treated equally".

So "little old UK" tried to smarmy their way up to some EU countries by proposing youth mobility deals and the EU have responded by saying it's got to apply to all the EU.

It appears brexiters still haven't got their heads around the fact that the EU will not let brexit undermine the single market.

19 minutes ago, altus said:

So "little old UK" tried to smarmy their way up to some EU countries by proposing youth mobility deals and the EU have responded by saying it's got to apply to all the EU.

It appears brexiters still haven't got their heads around the fact that the EU will not let brexit undermine the single market.

The UK are in a position thanks to Brexit that they can cherry pick which countries they want to make arrangements with.  

The UK already has a youth mobility scheme visa allowing young people from 10 countries including Australia, New Zealand, and Canada to study or work in the UK for up to two years. However, it is not open to EU applicants.

42 minutes ago, altus said:

Absolutely nailed it there pal. 

30 minutes ago, Axe said:

The UK are in a position thanks to Brexit that they can cherry pick which countries they want to make arrangements with. 

The UK can cherry pick which countries they try to make arrangements with, but if those countries are in the EU and the agreement is for something that is an EU competency, any agreement will be with and cover the EU as a whole not individual countries.

Still. The important bit is that the UK government is finally showing signs of realism about the benefits that freedom of movement brings.

24 minutes ago, altus said:

The UK can cherry pick which countries they try to make arrangements with, but if those countries are in the EU and the agreement is for something that is an EU competency, any agreement will be with and cover the EU as a whole not individual countries.

Still. The important bit is that the UK government is finally showing signs of realism about the benefits that freedom of movement brings.

The UK government are showing no signs of regret about the end of freedom of movement.

4 hours ago, Axe said:

The UK government are showing no signs of regret about the end of freedom of movement.

I didn't accuse them of regret, I said realism. A hard brexit was always going to be softened over time as the reality of the problems caused by it came to light. I didn't think the Tories would have been the ones to start it or so soon though.

1 minute ago, altus said:

I didn't accuse them of regret, I said realism. A hard brexit was always going to be softened over time as the reality of the problems caused by it came to light. I didn't think the Tories would have been the ones to start it or so soon though.

The Tories have not started anything. It is the EU who have  delusions of grandeur.  The realism is there is no going back and freedom of movement will not return.  

3 minutes ago, Axe said:

The Tories have not started anything. It is the EU who have  delusions of grandeur.  The realism is there is no going back and freedom of movement will not return.  

Then why did the Tory UK government propose youth mobility schemes to some EU countries?