Can you put traffic cones outside your house to stop people parking?

On 01/03/2020 at 18:38, Resident said:

In terms of the residents of Castleton, do what I did. Move them. 

Last time I had one of the residents come out shouting that they were his cones and I had no right. I just told him to do one else I'd call the cops and have him charged with handling stolen goods and Sect 137 Highways Act (Cones were stamped inside with TMS & Sect 137 - Wilful obstruction of a public carriageway). He hastly retreated. 

🤣

I live in a small town outside the main centre and someone has painted NO PARKING, INVALID on the pavement outside his house and then parked his car on that space! I've seen him getting out of his car and I can tell from his lively gait that he's no invalid. But the house is on a dangerous bend in the narrow, two way road where drivers cannot see round the corner easily, so is he justified?

Edited by woolyhead

7 hours ago, woolyhead said:

I live in a small town outside the main centre and someone has painted NO PARKING, INVALID on the pavement outside his house and then parked his car on that space! I've seen him getting out of his car and I can tell from his lively gait that he's no invalid. But the house is on a dangerous bend in the narrow, two way road where drivers cannot see round the corner easily, so is he justified?

If he's  painted it himself then no.

On 10/03/2020 at 09:20, Green Slime said:

If you are having a street party then you can put cones and a road closed sign up providing you tell the council and fire department of the location, date and time at least 2 weeks in advance.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/business/licences-permits-registrations/street-party-licences.html

You don't tell the council, you ask the council. 

From memory, there is a subtle difference in law between when a car is blocking a driveway (willful obstruction of the highway) where a vehicle/home owner wants access to the highway to get out of his driveway, and when a drive is being blocked by a vehicle and the home owner wants access to his drive (inward) for his car. The police will act if the car/home owner wants access to the highway, but not the other way around.  It falls into a different legal category for some reason. Can't just remember what the police told me the subtle difference was now, but if you phone them, and be polite, they will phone the obstructing car owner blocking the driveway and ask them to move it as it is an offence.  They use the vehicle registration records I think, because they always seem to know where the driver lives, either locally or not locally.  Give them a quick call and they usually act on a police call. The police used to say it would be towed away too, if obstructing access to the highway for too long. I live on a very crowded road, and always get good response from the police, especially at 2 am in the morning when I need to get out. I think they enjoy waking the offender up 😏

22 hours ago, Jeddo said:

From memory, there is a subtle difference in law between when a car is blocking a driveway (willful obstruction of the highway) where a vehicle/home owner wants access to the highway to get out of his driveway, and when a drive is being blocked by a vehicle and the home owner wants access to his drive (inward) for his car. The police will act if the car/home owner wants access to the highway, but not the other way around.  It falls into a different legal category for some reason. Can't just remember what the police told me the subtle difference was now, but if you phone them, and be polite, they will phone the obstructing car owner blocking the driveway and ask them to move it as it is an offence.  They use the vehicle registration records I think, because they always seem to know where the driver lives, either locally or not locally.  Give them a quick call and they usually act on a police call. The police used to say it would be towed away too, if obstructing access to the highway for too long. I live on a very crowded road, and always get good response from the police, especially at 2 am in the morning when I need to get out. I think they enjoy waking the offender up 😏

I remember reading an article about this. If someone blocks your driveway when your car is parked on the driveway, that is illegal. The reasoning is - if you have an emergency (medical or otherwise) that requires you to use your car, the car that is preventing you from leaving in your car is causing a Health & Safety issue. On the other hand, if someone blocks your driveway when you need to park your car on the driveway, it is causing an inconvenience but not causing a Health & Safety issue as you can always park elsewhere and enter your house. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/03/2020 at 12:18, mrcharlie said:

Don’t know about traffic cones, but I read someone can actually park on your drive and there is nothing illegal. You cannot threaten, assault or damage or even block them in!

I got home at 9.30pm one night to find a next door student had parked her car on my drive (private land) preventing me from driving up into my garage. Luckily the driver's window was left open so I opened the door, climbed in and got the other neighbours to push it out with the steering lock on, onto the road where I left it sitting there. I got the police to ring the owner (in a nearby pub apparently)and kept my eye on it till she came and re-parked it, over the limit no doubt. Good luck to anyone who tries to park on my drive!