The Fiesta Club Sheffield

• 2 months later...

I remember you Cathy and we worked together on Bar 9 for a while. I remember Yvonnie, Linda GoGo, Pam, Sheila, Carole from Stockton, Tony Waters, Bill Cummins,Charles (his wife who worked the downstairs bar), waitress Joy, big-hearted Jean who was supervisor for a while...and more. I remember Bob Munday with his dark sunnies and yes he played some instrument, the memory is faint... The band was Ricky Day, Terry Clayton, Val and John. I was one of the first Fiesta Fawns wearing the little bitty puple dress laced down the front. I brought my first wonder bra to wear with it... Silver sparkly tights and sandals finished the look... Fashion was platform soled boots in every colour, maxi dresses, those sandles that laced all the way up to the knee, Afgan coats that had that funny smell to them, bags were made of patchwork leather, oh and those white wet look boots... I remember the football team and we used to get the performers to embarass staff who had a birthday by presenting them on stage with a mini meal basket arranged with strategically placed food from the kitchen. Best wishes to all you Fiesta Fawns out there.

No georgie was very very drunk, I was in the Mulberry tavern across the road from the Fiesta and Georgie was there with Alex Higgins about noon, I went home at 2 and returned at 7.30 and they were still there!

Not many people mention the Mulberry when Big Mick had it, Herol Graham behind the bar and the best looking bar staff in the UK! I always remember the night Ringo Starr Eric Clapton and the McGuinness Flint band came in to see Mick. He had done some roadie/security work for them in the late 60s early 70s and stayed in touch.

By the way do you remember the chef from the Fiesta who murdred the prositute in Handsworth. Her name was Edna, forget his.

george pullen killed russian edna theres a thread on here about it.

• 2 months later...

I worked there for about six months full time in 1975 - mainly on the lounge bar - I got to stock the bar in the Stars Dressing Room a few times! Lesley Crowther I particularly remember as being a really nice bloke! I was 21 at the time!! Bob Bacon was the Manager in those days. I remember a barman called Ronald (who I called Roland) and Josie who was one of those fiestafawns (?) I don't actually remember that term but she wore a kind of bunny outfit anyway.. I can't remember any other names except Frank the Bars Manager and the sound engineer Roger Green. Comperes were Marti Caine and Tony Whyte with the Terry Clayton band as resident. There was a barmaid Marie too.

An old friend of mine Tom Gerrard was the DJ in the Sunset room, had to get a 'proper day time job' when the Fiesta closed and then became resident DJ at Mosborough Hall Hotel working only as a DJ again. Then moved to Charnwood Hotel and did a few mid week pubs and quiz nights mainly around heeley area. Lost touch, but heard he sadly died a couple of years ago.

i remember my only time in the fiesta,sheffield united had just signed sabella,1978,i think,and united were at the fiesta that night. i was only 17,but managed to get in ,get my autographs,watch the barron knights and have a couple of pints too.on leaving,the doorman shouted me back,and gave me the publicity poster,and the signed photo of alex sabella,which had been on the wall in the foyer.

• 2 weeks later...

It might have been my one and only visit to the Fiesta, Kenny Rogers and the First Edition were headlining I think this must have been the early 70's, I was stood at one of the many little bars they had, anyway when he finished his set he came to the bar and we had a little conversation, when the band finished its final set they all had local girl/groupies that they were all going to party with. I remember the next coming attraction was the Beach Boys. Some people might find this interesting , Kenny Rogers had this girl singer Mary .....? Ive forgotten her name, when she was'nt on stage she was sitting with some people in this little restaurent area just behind where I was sitting ( please don't laugh Im going a long way to get this little tid-bit out) she eventually married Roger Miller (what a great talent he was) she was Roger Miller's widow when he passed away.

It was great to go to the Fiesta in the old days. I was very lucky because I had a relative that got me free tickets so I was there quite often. It would be wonderful to go back to those days with something similar these days. But I'm afraid there is no chance of that happening. The cost of booking three or four top class acts together on the same bill would be so costly that the ticket prices would be astronomical. I think that is one of the reasons that clubs like the Fiesta and Batley Varieties closed down.