The Fiesta Club Sheffield

The nightclubs were great in their day but as lakerman says, the ever increasing fees negotiated by the agents eventually killed them off. As a teenager in the 60's we could go to the city hall and on one concert we would probably see three or four chart topping acts and another couple of quality supports for about a quid. In the late 60's early 70's, came the nightclubs with the odd support act and a 'star act' and the fees climbed. A well known act then probably commanded around 10 grand for a weeks' nightly appearances. More recently, with the advent of the arenas, agents and promoters now can probably get a quarter of a million+ for their acts per night. Unfortunately the poor fan now pays a hefty lump for a ticket and needs a telescope to see their idol. The greed killed the clubs.

id love to see the fiesta or a club of a simular nature return,but would it work in this day and age.

i have wrote several simular posts about clubs only catering for the under 25s,in the days of the fiesta or a disco like roxys they were full with people of all ages,and everyone like it and got on,couldnt amagin a person of my age fitting in at embrace or the corporation.

if the likes of the fiesta returned it would be a venue where you could actualy see the artist you paid to see,not on a screen or a two inch high figure which you pay £30 plus to see or not to see.

At the fiesta you could also have drinks and a meal whilst watching top class acts.

dont get me started on what killed the fiests,the acts getting gready,and didnt one of the owners disapear to america with the takings in the last few month of the club? sorry if im wrong it was a long time ago

• 1 year later...

Depends which big guy you mean.....there were quite a few,the one with the geordie accent was Derek Wilson better known for obvious reasons as Big Derek ,can still be found working at B&Q....and the late Mick Crich worked there as well i believe ....he was another big guy...ime sure there were a few more as well

I worked at the Fiesta for about a year before it eventually closed down. Such great memories of that place. I wish it was still open, I would have liked to think I would still be working there. Saw some great acts there and met and worked some some really nice people.

Freddy Starr, Three Degrees, Gene Pitney, Hot Choc, Drifters, Temptations, Shirley Bassey, Billy Ocean saw them all and they are to name but a few.

Variety clubs should be compulsory in each town / city, they were fantastic......happy days.

Unfortunately we now have to go and watch acts in large, un-personal venues that are really just sheds !! Bring back the Fiesta !!!!!!!