The Fiesta Club Sheffield

• 3 months later...

An excellent venue to go to. Saw most of the acts listed before, don't know if Chairman of the Board - giveme a little more time and Freda Payne - band of gold have already been mentioned. I use't to get discount tickets from Stanley Tools where I was working at then. I remember alot of the acts would hang out in the bar area before the shows on the 1st. floor - happy memories - and a better venue than some in the LA or Vegas area.

• 7 months later...

My girlfriend and I went to the Fiesta a few times in the 70s. I remember seeing Showaddywaddy amd Freddie Star - can't remember who else? We enjoyed the venue and would go again occassionally if it reopened - would not want 'chicken in a basket' nowadays though!

The Fiesta! The very name brings wonderful memories of nights with the top stars .

Chicken in a basket, Babysham and Blue Nun ,Evening Dresses arm in arm with Lounge suits, gentlemen opening doors for lady friends who would give them a gentle coy smile for their trouble .

It was as though Hollywood had some how landed in the middle of Sheffield.

It was a financial disaster, the Fiesta never made a profit. True it could get packed every now and then but most of the time the tickets had been given away.

As to bringing it back, it would be a brave man who put his money into such a venture in Sheffield.

It would be nice to seen a return of Variety and for a club such as the Fiesta - somewhere for the 'Older generation' to go.

The only problem I can see is what sort of acts would the owners be able to find......

most of the acts that use to be on at the Fiesta have passed on: Tommy Cooper. Eric + Ernie to name but two.

Don't want anymore venues in Sheffield turning into night clubs with thumping music !

I worked there for a few months in 1972. I was restaurant cashier with a very small bar to look after as well.

When the Spinners played there they would come to my bar for a drink. Before the club opened in the evening, almost every day The Carpenters 'Rainy days and Mondays' would blare out of the speakers.

I remember Martin St James, my bro in law was one of his 'victims' Also saw Tommy Cooper, Mike Naismith (ex Monkees) and many others I can't now recall.