The Fiesta Club Sheffield

I used to babysit for Keith Lipthorpe, one of the owners of the Fiesta, and his wife. He used to offer me free tix but I only took him up on the offer once - Blue Mink tix.
Keith and Peter Lipthorpe..are from up here in the North East of England..They bought up an old Cinema in Norton, Stockton on Tees,(where I now Live) and converted it into a Nightclub they Named this club "The Fiesta" this was about 1970....It was very successful and had all the great Artistes of the period working there including "The Beach Boys, Roy Orbison , Pitney and lots of other great names..At the peak of their success they opened another club in Sheffield also called "The Fiesta"...Sadly in the end, both business ventures failed as did many other night clubs only to be replaced by Disco's.

• 4 weeks later...
Once went and saw Bob Monkehouse. Before anyone laughs, none of the rubbish gags from TV, all brilliant gags in 2 spots of around 90 mins each. He had everyone splitting their sides. A tremendous night's entertainment.:thumbsup:

Does anyone remember a hypnotist that used to be on regularly ?

We were sat at the back one evening, and he'd got a punter to believe he was a ballet dancer when he gave the keyword ( or it might have been when a cetain piece of music was played). This guy was at the bar with his mates having a pint when the trigger came. The pint went up in the air, he shot down to the stage like an Olympic runner, and dived onto the stage with a right crunch (I thought he'd really hurt himself) and he did his routine brilliantly. If anybody ever says it was a put-on, I would say no-way after witnessing what happened that night.

I saw Bob Monkhouse at the Fiesta and he was absolutely superb, he just asked members of the audience for a subject and made a joke about that subject there and then. Tommy Cooper had me rolling about before he even came on stage when he pretended to be locked in the dressing room. We used to get free tickets every Thursday and would go no matter who was on, had some great nights there :thumbsup:

The first act I ever saw at Fiesta was Kenny Ball and his Jazzmen.

I also saw Cilla Black and the time we went there to see Tony Christie, they had double-booked our seats and the manager gave us seats right at the front.

• 2 months later...

Oh so many memories of the good times I worked in the Fiesta for a few years I worked for the Linthorpe brothers in the Stockton Fiesta and when Sheffield club opened we moved to help out I loved the place so much I stayed for years. The staff all helped my friend and I to settle in I lived in Psalter Lane, Brocca Bank and Valley Road so if you remember Kathy Elcoate Betty Gun get in touch. And thanks to the Sheffield people for so many happy memories of the late 60s and early 70s

yes a night at the fiesta was really going out.it was great to actually have to get dressed up,the complete opposite of todays jeans and trainers that everyone wears.because it was the only place like it in sheffield,it just seemed so upmarket and classy.having scampi and chips was a real treat.the waitress service and the fiesta club in darkness apart from the table lamps made it feel as if you were really living it up.

plus a lot of the time especially mid week there was always free tickets.there was so many highlights for me,4 tops doing their dance routines and starting with'turn to stone',gladys knight and the pips,martin st james,drifters and loads of comedians mike reid,larry grayson,ken goodwin,might not sound great to many people but they were our times and a night there seemed so special.worst act i saw was roger de courcey and nookie bear who was just really course and vulgar,also saw david soul i think about 1980,he was holding the mic,decided that his acoustic guitar strap was twisted so he put the mic on the floor whilst he adjusted the strap,then trod on the mic which made the most horrendous noise frightening everybody to death.

yes wonderful times at the fiesta club,to sit back and be entertained was wonderful.has anyone any photos of the club inside they could put on the forum to remind us.

hello owdlad Betty was married to a man named Ken he had served in the air force they moved to Middlesbrough in later years

Thanks Kitty. I wonder if anyone knows what happened to the other Betty?