Are We Heading For A Recession Like In The 30s?

17 minutes ago, Anna B said:

So, back on topic, how can we be in for anything less than a recession as bad if not worse than the 1930s?

With debt mounting every day, mass unemployment round the next corner, people divided on all sorts of issues, and a useless government in charge, we're in serious trouble. A perfect storm? 

If we plunge into more austerity and taxes rise as well, I can't see people standing for it. It was the lowest paid, poor and vulnerable who paid the price for the worldwide banking crisis last time. Now they're older and wiser, and better informed, they have lost respect for government.

I can't see them agreeing to being the patsy yet again.

When or by how much the recession affects people depends on Government spending, they may choose NOT to repay our massive debt. Not every party/leader does the right thing. Just leave it for five years, for the next Prime Minister.

Also, its down to confidence and how much money the general public spend. At the moment, confidence is still good, because house prices are holding up. The Government are doing their best to keep house prices high, by supporting buyers.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

When or by how much the recession affects people depends on Government spending, they may choose NOT to repay our massive debt. Not every party/leader does the right thing. Just leave it for five years, for the next Prime Minister.

Also, its down to confidence and how much money the general public spend. At the moment, confidence is still good, because house prices are holding up. The Government are doing their best to keep house prices high, by supporting buyers.

So the magic money tree does exist!

Edited by Anna B

1 hour ago, hauxwell said:

Not a bad idea to carry the dept forward and if Boris loses the next election he could always do what the disgraceful Labour Party did under Gordon Brown, leave a note saying, Sorry there is no money left. 

Gordon Brown’s government looks like a model of probity compared to this set of corrupt chancers.

49 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

Gordon Brown’s government looks like a model of probity compared to this set of corrupt chancers.

I’m not a Labour supporter, but I thought Brown handled the banking situation okay, but there seemed to be a lot of reckless lending of money when he was Chancellor and

Prime Minister.

The majority of politicians on all sides are corrupt chancers, it goes with the job.

6 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

I’m not a Labour supporter, but I thought Brown handled the banking situation okay, but there seemed to be a lot of reckless lending of money when he was Chancellor and

Prime Minister.

The majority of politicians on all sides are corrupt chancers, it goes with the job.

Unfortunately that's probably true. What a sad state of affairs. It's about time something was done about it.

3 hours ago, hauxwell said:

Not a bad idea to carry the dept forward and if Boris loses the next election he could always do what the disgraceful Labour Party did under Gordon Brown, leave a note saying, Sorry there is no money left. 

Very much a bad idea, since the Tories have managed to increase that debt quite substantially, after 10 years of governance, and they're currently going for Wonga-broke, by the looks of ongoing procurement practices.

So I doubt that the note would have the same effect this time around.

Edited by L00b

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

Unfortunately that's probably true. What a sad state of affairs. It's about time something was done about it.

Good luck with that.

It's not just about politics that's human nature in general.

For all we may pretend it isn't and for all we try to suppress it - we are still just cavemen. It's all really survival of the fittest. A power grab. 

Show of dominance and superiority over others.  Looking out for the advantages and opportunities and seizing up on them when they arise.

Even those who portray an image of being a philanthropist and looking out for others it's all just fake.   They all have deep-rooted selfish reasons for doing what they do whether it's to portray a better image for themselves or use their philanthropy to make connections and contacts that they can take advantage of.  

Our angelic nurses, support workers and carers in the NHS are of course the heroes in this pandemic but they are still just doing a job for which they are getting financial renumeration for.   

All those unpaid volunteers  campaigners, "do gooders" may well be giving up their time and money to support a cause but the reason is because they they get an ego boost and a positive impression on their image in return.

I don't think it's ever going to go away no matter how much people try.  Its deep-rooted in our own personalities and breeding. 

Politics may well give people more facility and scope to behave that way but even mass reforms will not ever eradicate it. In all aspects of life whether it's politics, financial, careers or just do it today living there will always be those who find the advantage that takes them a step above all others.

Edited by ECCOnoob

3 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Good luck with that.

It's not just about politics that's human nature in general.

For all we may pretend it isn't and for all we try to suppress it - we are still just cavemen. It's all really survival of the fittest. A power grab. 

Show of dominance and superiority over others.  Looking out for the advantages and opportunities and seizing up on them when they arise.

Even those who portray an image of being a philanthropist and looking out for others it's all just fake.   They all have deep-rooted selfish reasons for doing what they do whether it's to portray a better image for themselves or use their philanthropy to make connections and contacts that they can take advantage of.  

Our angelic nurses, support workers and carers in the NHS are of course the heroes in this pandemic but they are still just doing a job for which they are getting financial renumeration for.   

All those unpaid volunteers  campaigners, "do gooders" may well be giving up their time and money to support a cause but the reason is because they they get an ego boost and a positive impression on their image in return.

I don't think it's ever going to go away no matter how much people try.  Its deep-rooted in our own personalities and breeding. 

Politics may well give people more facility and scope to behave that way but even mass reforms will not ever eradicate it. In all aspects of life whether it's politics, financial, careers or just do it today living there will always be those who find the advantage that takes them a step above all others.

Very cynical, but sadly, mostly true.

I would however take issue with your view human nature and in particular, volunteers. They may get a 'feel good' element from doing work that benefits others, but that is different to an ego trip, and is as rewarding to them as greed is to others. However, at the end of the day this necessary, worthwhile work gets done to the general benefit of all.

However I also know people who find certain voluntary work possitively painful because they so empathise with the unfortunate recipiants. They feel they can never do enough and can't sleep at night for the unfairness and sadness of it all. They still do it because something inside them tells them they must. 

We now live in a world where all the emphasis is on aquiring wealth and position at the expense of all else. In the Western (Capitalist?) world people are pushed and encouraged into believing this is the ultimate and only goal, so selfishness and corruption abound. But it's not the same everywhere. I have spent time in other countries where there is a far greater emphasis on a more spiritual way of life, and goals of love and devotion to others, and with it a route to real inner peace, happiness and joy, in a way that shames us.  

We have lost that element in our way of life, and sustituted it with shallowness and a need for things. We have lost God and  worship money instead. But as with all things, there is a balance to be found that lies somewhere within the two. We used to have it, but at the moment we haven't got it, but that shouldn't stop us trying.      

Edited by Anna B