Are We Heading For A Recession Like In The 30s?

2 hours ago, casualbystander said:

We may be heading for a bigger recession than we ever expected but if you are smart you can make some good money with shares at the moment, i have had a great few weeks with some airline shares and hospitality shares , both up and down like a yo yo.

If my wage had been paid into my bank thgis morning when I tried to buy shares, I would be 1% in front by now.

It could quite easily go the other way, but I may do it later.

I shouldnt really be gambling my wage like that  :)

2 hours ago, El Cid said:

If my wage had been paid into my bank thgis morning when I tried to buy shares, I would be 1% in front by now.

It could quite easily go the other way, but I may do it later.

I shouldnt really be gambling my wage like that  :)

there are shares giving up to 30-40% roi, had a few last week but if you cant afford to lose dont trade in shares i wouldn't recommend your month salary!! it is just that gambling and reading the market. hospitality are due to boost on the 1m reduction.

3 hours ago, casualbystander said:

there are shares giving up to 30-40% roi, had a few last week but if you cant afford to lose dont trade in shares i wouldn't recommend your month salary!! it is just that gambling and reading the market. hospitality are due to boost on the 1m reduction.

My wage hasnt be put in yet, so I didnt buy any shares. The one I was going to buy is up 3.5%

3 hours ago, bassett one said:

been food shopping and its manic out there,just got my needed food,skipped the huge queues at the rest of the shops,seems things could get back to normal,another lockdown with thousands queueing and shopping,2 metre rules in the bin

Certainly busier, that is what Boris wants.

13 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Certainly busier, that is what Boris wants.

We have to attempt to get back to a more 'normal' situation sometime - the present set-up is unsustainable, and damaging, both emotionally  and financially - IMHO.

On 31/05/2020 at 18:42, Albert the Cat said:

This is complete rubbish. Everything you have said here is wrong. 

Oh yeah, now who's talking rubbish? So why has it just been announced this evening that the bank of England is going to pump a hundred billion into the economy. In other words they are going to print money, even if technically some of this money will digitally be pumped into the economy. 

It was only a matter of time. I rest my case. 

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jun/18/bank-of-england-uk-economy-quantitative-easing-coronavirus-crisis

Edited by poppet2

35 minutes ago, poppet2 said:

Oh yeah, now who's talking rubbish? So why has it just been announced this evening that the bank of England is going to pump a hundred billion into the economy. In other words they are going to print money, even if technically some of this money will digitally be pumped into the economy. 

It was only a matter of time. I rest my case. 

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jun/18/bank-of-england-uk-economy-quantitative-easing-coronavirus-crisis

QE is not the same as a dictator simply printing money to buy arms.

Edited by Arnold_Lane

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Primark said it will not take advantage of a £30m bonus from the government.

I dont understand, companies are struggling to stay in profit and Primark are not taking £30 million Government handout.

They are keeping their employees, but not taking the Government money?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53380719

What don’t you understand about it?

They can get a £1000 bonus for every member of staff brought back from

furlough - but they have said they won’t claim it.  Pretty simple.

18 minutes ago, Arnold_Lane said:

They can get a £1000 bonus for every member of staff brought back from

furlough - but they have said they won’t claim it.  Pretty simple.

Wouldnt a company have a duty to its share holders to gain what ever profits it can, so why are they not claiming £1,000 per employee?

Is there something wrong with the scheme?