Are We Heading For A Recession Like In The 30s?

7 hours ago, Anna B said:

We now live in a world where all the emphasis is on aquiring wealth and position at the expense of all else. In the Western (Capitalist?) world people are pushed and encouraged into believing this is the ultimate and only goal, so selfishness and corruption abound. But it's not the same everywhere. I have spent time in other countries where there is a far greater emphasis on a more spiritual way of life, and goals of love and devotion to others, and with it a route to real inner peace, happiness and joy, in a way that shames us.  

We have lost that element in our way of life, and sustituted it with shallowness and a need for things. We have lost God and  worship money instead. But as with all things, there is a balance to be found that lies somewhere within the two. We used to have it, but at the moment we haven't got it, but that shouldn't stop us trying.      

I am getting older and would love to be able to afford to give up work and look after my local neighbourhood.

There are some lovely vilages where it seems richer people live and the residents look after their own village.

I commented the other day, my daughter and boyfriend vaccum their bedroom right up to their door, I am not so clean indoors, but I love to clean my own street and local area.

We are losing God, but I dont think that has caused us to worship money, they worship money in the USA and they have God.

18 hours ago, El Cid said:

I am getting older and would love to be able to afford to give up work and look after my local neighbourhood.

There are some lovely vilages where it seems richer people live and the residents look after their own village.

I commented the other day, my daughter and boyfriend vaccum their bedroom right up to their door, I am not so clean indoors, but I love to clean my own street and local area.

We are losing God, but I dont think that has caused us to worship money, they worship money in the USA and they have God.

We have certainly lost the 'you'll get your reward in heaven' mentality, but we also seem to have lost our moral code as well.

As for the USA, well I'm sorry to generalise, but I think hypocricy is almost a national trait in America, especially amongst the monied class. They still believe in the American dream as well....

Edited by Anna B

24 minutes ago, Anna B said:

We have certainly lost the 'you'll get your reward in heaven' mentality, but we also seem to have lost our moral code as well.

As for the USA, well I'm sorry to generalise, but I think hypocricy is almost a national trait in America, especially amongst the monied class. They still believe in the American dream as well....

With respect Anna, for a significant amount of people there is no such thing.

Spiritualism and religious following does not apply to all and there are significant numbers who do not rule their lives by what they perceive is nothing more than a fairytale and a belief in a mythical Sky being.

The harsh reality is that human behaviour in its most basic natural form is fight for survival, greed and selfishness.   Those traits become even more apparent when times become hard and the said fight for survival (be it through retention of wealth, employment or personal circumstances) becomes even tougher.

I wouldn't say that any of that falls under some "moral" obligation.  There is no such mandation for one.  There's no such thing as a court of morals and the only thing people really care about deep down when that fight instinct is triggered is whether they are within what the law interpets as.   

When hard times hit moral duties don't even enter someone's mind.

Edited by ECCOnoob

5 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

With respect Anna, for a significant amount of people there is no such thing.

Spiritualism and religious following does not apply to all and there are significant numbers who do not rule their lives by what they perceive is nothing more than a fairytale and a belief in a mythical Sky being.

The harsh reality is that human behaviour in its most basic natural form is fight for survival, greed and selfishness.   Those traits become even more apparent when times become hard and the said fight for survival (be it through retention of wealth, employment or personal circumstances) becomes even tougher.

I wouldn't say that any of that falls under some "moral" obligation.  There is no such mandation for one.  There's no such thing as a court of morals and the only thing people really care about deep down when that fight instinct is triggered is whether they are within what the law interpets as.   

When hard times hit moral duties don't even enter someone's mind.

The fight has always been for civilisation to transcend human nature and create a better world. At one time it seemed to be winning, but we seem to have gone into decline.

Yet most of the ills of the world can be overcome if we do what is right and work together. Survival of the fittest might be ok if you're one of the fittest, but I believe we have a moral duty to support those less fortunate. We are not animals, or at least, have the brains to be better than animals, and there are enough resources to go round everyone if they are shared equitably. 

The battle isn't about survival, it's about greed.

Edited by Anna B

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54817872

The Bank of England is to pump an extra £150bn into the economy as it warned the resurgence of Covid-19 would lead to a slower, bumpier recovery.

British Prime Minister Theresa May openly criticized Quantitative easing  in July 2016 for its regressive effects: "Monetary policy – in the form of super-low interest rates and quantitative easing – has helped those on the property ladder at the expense of those who can't afford to own their own home.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantitative_easing#Increased_income_and_wealth_inequality

On 27/10/2020 at 18:55, Anna B said:

We are not animals, or at least, have the brains to be better than animals, and there are enough resources to go round everyone if they are shared equitably. 

The battle isn't about survival, it's about greed.

Sadly as I see the shops picked bare again I don't see any change.

43 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Sadly as I see the shops picked bare again I don't see any change.

Could not agree more.

I've kept saying. For all people try and believe in the delusion that we have the ability to be this fair, equal, sharing and moralistic society -  it's not going to happen.

Some people of course portray that image when they have the means to do so and to get some other form of personal gain from it in return.   

But, make no mistake,when times turn hard everybody reverts to their natural human instincts of looking after number one and getting to the top of that food chain.

Argos/ Sainsbury announced further job cuts.

There is no doubt going into 2021 will be massively challenging for UK economy- especially when Brexit is official.

If we have no deal there  then it can only get worse.