Legal Question About Selling.

This may seem silly, but something I've always wondered about is the legality of selling stuff on ebay or Gumtree... what gives us the legal right to sell a dvd of a film or a computer game for example, given that it is not our intellectual property.

Edited by Ruddy76

Generally, after first sale of a copy (be it whatever that is), the rights holder exhausts all rights to that copy. There is a little bit more to it than that, and different countries have different laws.

I know there was a massive issue at one point with people trying to sell on Microsoft OEM  software ten or fifteen years ago, and there was some lawsuits due to Microsoft saying they didn't  sell software, but a licence to use it.

Do a bit of googling and i'm sure you will find some useful information. 

Edited by Dardandec

19 minutes ago, Ruddy76 said:

This may seem silly, but something I've always wondered about is the legality of selling stuff on ebay or Gumtree... what gives us the legal right to sell a dvd of a film or a computer game for example, given that it is not our intellectual property.

Films / computer games / music etc are protected by copyright.

https://www.wto.org/english/tratop_e/trips_e/intel1_e.htm

As DD says above, the original sale is what counts - otherwise Iron Maiden would be chasing everyone who'd bought a second hand copy of their CD's.

11 hours ago, Longcol said:

Films / computer games / music etc are protected by copyright.

https://www.wto.org/english/tratop_e/trips_e/intel1_e.htm

As DD says above, the original sale is what counts - otherwise Iron Maiden would be chasing everyone who'd bought a second hand copy of their CD's.

If anyone was going to be chased by Iron Maiden it would be the original owner if they kept the copy and sold on the media:

It isn't illegal to rip a CD in the UK any more. You are allowed one (1) digital copy of every CD (or other traditional media) you own for your personal use. It's illegal to distribute it, it's illegal to have copies of music you don't own and it's illegal to have more copies.

I wouldn't recommend being chased by Iron Maiden, I've fenced Bruce Dickinson and it's scary.

15 minutes ago, max said:

If anyone was going to be chased by Iron Maiden it would be the original owner if they kept the copy and sold on the media:

I wouldn't recommend being chased by Iron Maiden, I've fenced Bruce Dickinson and it's scary.

If Iron Maiden chased after me I'd...run for the hills. 😁