Your Favourite Musical

cressida

3 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

:thumbsup:

A few years ago I read that Elvis Presley was offered the leading role of Tony in

West Side Story, but his manager turned it down. It’s a shame because I think Elvis had the potential to become a series actor with a bit more training.  

It makes you wonder if his manger held him back.  

Having said that the actor who played Tony in the film was very good and had a nice singing voice.  

Agreed on the acting, even though I liked his early black and white films,   yes more acting training was required,   Anne Margret and Richard Egan said back stage,   Elvis was very humble and willing to learn,   yes Tom Parker held him back and slowly fleeced him,    West Side story I think might have been a tall order for him and to be quite honest songs like Maria,  I just couldn't see Elvis pulling those type of songs off, I don't think it was  his type of music to be fair.

3 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

West Side story I think might have been a tall order for him and to be quite honest songs like Maria,  I just couldn't see Elvis pulling those type of songs off, I don't think it was  his type of music to be fair.

Yes I agree with you. 

I Love musicals. I don't think I've seen one I didn't like. Either live (and I've seen a lot) or on film.

I loved Les Mis, Miss Saigon, and Phantom of the Opera at the theatre, far superior to the films, and 'Kiss me Kate' and anything with Howard Keel on DVD.

I have quite a collection. 

51 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I Love musicals. I don't think I've seen one I didn't like. Either live (and I've seen a lot) or on film.

I loved Les Mis, Miss Saigon, and Phantom of the Opera at the theatre, far superior to the films, and 'Kiss me Kate' and anything with Howard Keel on DVD.

I have quite a collection. 

Yes agreed, Howard Keel is one my favs,   Calamity Jane and Seven Brides for seven brothers, they don't make em like that anymore, Gene Kelly is another one of my favourites,  I preferred to see him  sing and dance  rather than Fred Astair.

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/09/2021 at 14:03, PRESLEY said:

Yes agreed, Howard Keel is one my favs,   Calamity Jane and Seven Brides for seven brothers, they don't make em like that anymore, Gene Kelly is another one of my favourites,  I preferred to see him  sing and dance  rather than Fred Astair.

Oh yes. 'The Pirate' with Gene Kelly and Judy Garland. I'd forgotten about that.

I’ve watched the trailer of a remake of West Side Story.  I didn’t know they were doing another version of this film. It’s directed by Spielberg and it’s due to be released in December.  It will be interesting to see if the dancing and the singing is as good as the original film, it will be a hard act to follow.